Bottoms Up !—Bottoms, Knees, Bears ‘n Bees

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, May 30, 2022.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

I’ve seen that show it does make sense. Also special designs for garden tools easy on joints. But I have so many flower beds and lots of in and outs, steps ups and downs I’d be hauling to much stuff around to help me get up with all the other garden stuff.
    I just use a heavy duty storage container with wheels on one side to put weeds and stuff into. When I need to sit I have bad knees too, I just put the lid on for sitting.

I have horses and have all kinds of biting insects and the deer flies are the worst. The Green Lipped Muscle Gel works every time. Even use it on the horses.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    Melody Mc. and Droopy like this.
  2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, my, I've laughed too hard reading this thread. I must be over-tired or something. I bend, get on my knees, lie flat on my stomach, lie on the side, sit on my bum, you wouldn't believe the positions I work in during a day in the garden. We haven't got big mosquitoes, just tiny but annoying ones that land all over me and chase me back inside in the evenig. I rarely put any insect repellent on bar when we're on holiday at places with big mosquioes. We haven't got any snakes around here either. Our one poisonous viper prefer woods and stony hills. I feel privileged now because we don't have to worry about anything very big, very poisonous or very unpleasant coming our way in the garden.

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

We don’t have poisonous snakes but the yellowjackets are horrible in July they really chase me in the house literally. I have been stung so many times I’m allergic to them. I was stung on the lip and My face swelled up like a ballon… now that sorta reminds me of the Pillsbury Dough Boy. :nerdy:

4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hahaha. We called my son the "stay puff marshallow man" when he was allergic. Poor guy. He's since had vespid therapy and no longer allergic. I don't envy you with the yellow jackets. They are not my friend. I've been stung over 28 times in my life by various bees...and pooped on 7 times by birds. Must be my good luck! My daughter has not been stung once....or pooped on :suspicious:

Sjoerd, Droopy, Logan and 1 other person like this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Droopy - you sound like a very limber gardener. Very Cirque de Soleil :) Wish I had your talent and perhaps also your lack of creatures. Angus treed a bear beside the house yesterday. The poor bruin went up and down three times before he felt safe departing. Angus is great that way - very brave but not nasty. And I did see a large Momma with THREE of the teeniest tiniest little cubs this morning down the road ( thankfully about a km away). The AWWWWW factor was so huge. So huge.

6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Melody Mc.. what is vespid therapy? Is that when your slowly introduced to a particular allergen which slowly builds up immunity. Kind of like a vaccine.
    I mowed over a yellow jacket nest and hundreds covered my arms legs ..it was a nice day shorts day until a swarm descended on me. Been allergic and carry a allergy pen.
    But I noticed after all the stings my arthritis in my joints knees, hips, hands, shoulders didn’t bother me for a few weeks. I read a article long time back about bee stings helped arthritis .
    Now the PAcific northwest mostly Washington state have had a couple killer hornets hives . These guys are huge, dangerous and called killer hornets because they kill bees inside their hives and take the hives for their own and use the honey produced to raise their own.

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Wow that baby bear scene must have been a sight …Brave Angus… I’ve seen videos where even house cats chase bears away… I do know that raccoons will stand their ground around here. I was out slug hunting last night came across a huge raccoon. He stood up on his hind legs he was huge and scared the living daylights outta me. They are vicious. Wish I had a camera. Set up the trail cam today to keep track of him.

Melody Mc., Droopy and Logan like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Everyone on their knees ….reminds me of catholic school… as kids always sent hours daily on our knees praying..maybe it would help me get up a lil easier to say a prayer to help for a lift up. I use a reacher a lot picking up trimmed plants debris, whatever….Avoiding knee replacement, already had 3 hip joints replaced ..well one had to be revised due to a manufacturer recall. That was fun…gardening has never really stopped only 3-4 months after surgery. Now just used mindfulness when doing chores. Plan ahead and use leverage a lot. Not much heavy lifting.

9. Droopy

Please take care of your joints, all! I'm arguing with a knee and a hip at times and have found out that when they start acting up I'd best find something else to do.

Thank you for your trust in me, but I'm afraid any sign of elegance is very absent. I'm certain the neighbours can hear my joints click when I try to get back up on my feet. I'd love to see the Momma Bear, but I wouldn't want to see her too close, and certainly not down the road from me. I guess it's about what one's used to. I'm a bit wary of big animals, and also small ones that are angry. We have mink around here, and those can really make angry noises!

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Droopy , @Pacnorwest - A bit of a further diversion from knees and bottoms...except maybe the bottoms.
    Bottoms and perhaps pants come to mind in those two instances. And maybe knees - the joke is you don't have to run fast....just faster than the guy beside you. ;):D

Two years ago Angus was barking tremendously right behind the house. My husband went behind the bushy back of the house to investigate. I was inside, and had brought Angus in. I looked out the front picture window and there were two cubs looking back at me - from the large tree just outside the window. We were both very surprised to see each other. It was a very quick run and yell "Momma Bear!! Cubs!! Get inside!". Hubby hustled in fast enough to see the cubs scurry down the tree and leave with Momma. That one was a little too close.

Another time we stopped off at the barn from getting firewood, to unload the saws etc. I stepped out of the truck, Hubby said to walk slowly over to him on his side. Momma was pulling a hawthorn tree over for her baby to eat the berries, about 40 ft away. We stepped into the barn and let them finish, then they waddled off. The truck didn't bother her when we pulled in and it was a dry summer - she was more interested in the berries and her baby.

It definitely is what each of us are used to in our own unique environment. I wouldn't want racoons or large weasels. Or any of the long list of snakes the Texas ladies have. We have more wildlife contact than most neighbours due to the mountain behind us, the creek and the creek valley. We are surrounded by crown land, where as others maybe butt against each other or are close to the road. I'm definitely in their back yard.

These aren't very clear as they were way out in the field after the berry feast. Heading to the creek. Baby was trying to see over the tall grass for Momma.

RSCN7718.JPG

RSCN7672.JPG

When I work in the lower garden Angus is either beside me in the shade, or up on the deck looking over me. Only once has a bear showed up in the field while I've been gardening. They usually treat all of us as a roundabout. Angus makes me a lot more comfortable when I'm on my knees weeding focussed on the task at hand. The getting up from the cold dirt is a little more challenging than it used to be. A case of knee-sels. :rolleyes: I'm no longer confident that I'd be faster than the guy beside me . :)

Attached Files:

eileen, Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and 4 others like this.
  11. Droopy

Gosh, @Melody Mc. , I'd love to come for a visit and see Momma Bear and Baby Bear(s) for myself, in a safe environment where people can tell me what's what. And have Angus look out for me. This is so different from where I am and what I see every day.

eileen, Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Yes - that is what it is. It worked very well for him. It was a tiny amount built up over a period of time. He no longer scores as being allergic, but an instance like you had would still prove to be a possible problem. We are so far away from the hospital, that it was a good decision for him.

eileen, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Well this is an interesting thread!! Bottoms, knees bears, bees! I can hardly keep up.

I've been a bottom gardener but my doc wants me to change to being a knee gardener. Not as easy as it sounds!

We don't have close encounters with the bears usually, that is if we take our bird feeders down once they wake up from hibernation. They are out there, but we don't see them like you Melody.

We have packs of coyotes. Recently I realized they were howling a lot during the day... Like several times a week instead of mainly during the night. A neighbor pointed out that they are howling when a plane goes by overhead. Seems to be just the right pitch to set them off.

14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

I need a picture of the bear protector “Angus”.. quite the hero.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cayu— I may change the name of this thread to, “ Bottoms, knees, bears ‘n bees”.
    What a great phrase.