Bottoms Up !—Bottoms, Knees, Bears ‘n Bees

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, May 30, 2022.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I like it.. great Idea…Go for it…:D

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cayu, listen to your doc.
    Cayotes. I had no idea they were roaming around New England.
    Fascinating…. arrrooooooooooo oooooo oo.

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Logan so sorry about your knees . I would never laugh they sound painful. Knees are no joke very painful. I wear sleeves on mine and never lean on them too painful.

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you Pacnorwest, they're not painful just a bit stiff but it doesn't like me kneeling on it much but i still do. A friend of mine gave me a kneeling pad for gardening it does help, i was using a rolled up bath towel but it wasn't as good.
    Those knee sleeves are good, hubby has one for his right knee.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I use knee pads that I can strap on if I am not wearing my work pants that have little compartments for rubber pads. Without the pads, I would have a tough time spending so much time working low.
    What a great invention.
    What are those sleeves you are talking about, Loggie? I am trying to picture them.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Pacnorwest was talking about wearing sleeves on knees.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sleeves then are thin pieces of material?
    I have never heard of these…just what shirts or cardi’s have.

Logan likes this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd I don't know really know. I've never heard it before, hubby has a knee support that is all elastic with a thick elastic to keep it up. The only thing is that it's making the skin itchy when worn all day until he goes to bed, so he's started to take it off in the evening.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

That stiffness is the first sign of osteoarthritis. Take care of the knees now you need them right. I have one knee replaced you don’t want to go there. See a therapist on ways to take care of knees to prevent future damage.
    Just saying. I thought my knees were just getting tired from the summer knee workout in the gardens. It turned out to later develop into loss of Cartilage . Knee sleeves support for the knees now can save years of knee issues later on.

Sjoerd, Logan and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Knees - Hubby has some that he pulls on over his knees under his jeans. They have gel pads at the knee cap area, and boning on the sides for support. They help when on uneven ground. But very hot apparently. I guess they could be called a sleeve Sjoerd, as they slide on and off, with no clasps or velcro.

Bears....This big fella is hanging around. I caught him on the critter cam at the driveway. Hubby had to make Angus sit and stay, and he chased it off himself. It didn't seem to bothered by a barking dog and we would not want Angus to have a conflict with him. He's enjoying the Dandilions along the creek, one of their first big feasts. If he seems reluctant to move on soon, we will encourage him with a banger in the air. We wouldn't want him to get to used to being around.

DSCF0059.JPG

Bees - I'm finally beginning to see some bees. I'm not sure if it is in time for the apple trees and saskatoons but they are loving the dandilions. We have to use judegement with mowing - the large field of dandilions out front and behind the barn has to be mowed or the bears graze in it like cows, too close to the house. The outer field is left for them. We leave all of the side dandilions to encourage the bees. When hubby mows with the tractor, he stops continuously to nudge a bee out of the way, or move a frog. It makes for a long mowing job, but it is worth it. :sete_011:

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I like it Melody. You truly are living rather companionably with the wildlife.

12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Logan

I've used a foam kneeling pad for many years. Both of my knees have been injured, and one still lingers. I often leave my foam pad in my wake as I plow through the rows with weeds, then have to go back and fetch it. It does help though. I've learned the thicker the better.

This was a Christmas gift. I really am enjoying it. I can sit and care for something, or rest. When flipped over, I can kneel and have the side supports to help with the "upsy of the oopsy daisy". I learned today that it is not great on a slope ( almost face planted into the haskap berry bed). The sides collapse so that it can be stored or carried.

It has been very good for my physical being this spring, and if someone has knee-sels or needs a little help on the upsy of the oopsy daisy, I'd confidently recommend it. There must be many versions out there. I ordered one for my neighbour for her birthday. ( I share my garden with her. She says that she likes it to sit and "supervise" while we visit. Hubby uses it often for a sit.)

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

Cayuga Morning, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you. We do our best. The big fella has been hanging around unknowingly. Yesterday he was close to the lower garden when hubby shooed him off, so I checked the critter cam. We have definitely have had conflicts, but for the most part mutual respect and caution takes care of it. I still have an air horn, bear banger and pepper spray when I weed or go for walks. Better than saying " I wish I had my air horn, bear banger or pepper spray" hahahaha. It all works out. I've never had to use them.

Cayuga Morning, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Call the forest service to come trap the bears… it’s always done here when they hang around it’s unsafe next they can break in to your fridge…happen a lot here…

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  15. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine