Bouganvilla, Mandevilla, and Orchids

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Georgia Girl Beth, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Georgia Girl Beth

Georgia Girl Beth Seedling

These are a few of the flowers I got this year, and I am in love! The mandevilla is growing up a lattice and is still flowering because we don't ever get super cold here. It is pink and the bouganvilla is more of a fuschia. What can I do with the bouganvilla? It is in a pot and growing wildly. Does it wrap around things? It just seems that it will be harder to get it to do that because the branches are so much thicker and treelike than the mandevilla. I just repotted my phalaenopsis orchid and now the roots seem like they're dying. A leaf fell off of it too! I'm terrified that I'm going to lose it. I thought orchids would be easier, but everything I've read leads me to believe that they are one of the more difficult flowers to care for....I've read that they do well when partnered with trees. Do you think it would do well with a cedar tree? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have seen bouganvilla that was about 8' tall and stretched over the entryway to a home in Nuevo Laredo. The branches are thicker, but if trained now by using ties to attach it to a large sturdy trellis it will climb. It lacks the tendrils that let it attach to something all on its own. It needs a little help.
    We had a potted bouganvilla when we lived in town, and we'd bring it in for the winter (Nov. to March) because it is a tropical and hates chilly weather.

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.
  4. Georgia Girl Beth

Georgia Girl Beth Seedling

Thank you! It's flourishing right now and is so beautiful! If it gets cold here for January and February, I'll make sure to bring it in or cover it.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I treat my orchids the same as my cactus and am usually successful. Orchids don’t like their roots kept wet for any length of time, so hopefully you used large sized bark when repotting. I would shy away from Cedar trees for orchids because of the oils in their wood/bark/roots, but this maybe misinformation on my part. Good luck and enjoy.

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.