Bought Some Old Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by FlowerFreak22, Jan 31, 2011.

1. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I was at a small shop that was going out of business the other day and it was the last day that they would be open, so everything absolutely had to go. There was not much left except for an old dusty looking stack of books sitting in the corner. I wandered over and noticed that they were encyclopedias from 1888. The whole stack of about 9 or 10 books was only $15 so I had to buy them. They were not in the best condition, but I thought books over 100 years old were really cool. Unfortunately I didn't get the whole set, but the ones that I do have are full of very interesting things from that era. All in all I think it was a good purchase.

Frank, Droopy and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Polly
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. dooley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, wonderful find, and wonderful buy! I adore books, and especially old books. Your encyclopedias will have information still relevant today, and also a good window into the past.
    I have the Report of the Joint Committee on Reconstruction, the congressional inquiry into the Civil War and its aftermath. When I bought it, although the book was published in 1866, the pages were still uncut!
    Next to a good nursery or hardware store, a used/old book shop is my favorite browsing place!

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

FF you must be my long-lost close relative. :D I would have done exactly the same. Actually I already have. :oops: I love old books. I don't always read them but I stroke them and smell them. :D

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

My favorite old book is a history textbook published in 1888. Old maps of the U.S., population 50 million, with 38 states. An interesting perspective of history from a closer in time viewpoint.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. FlowerFreak22

Marlingardener - I bet you were very excited to find that book. I too love Civil War stuff and I bet it has some very cool information in it.

Droopy - You're probably right deserting as how I won't really read these so much as browse through them. I also snuck a couple of smells real quick before I bought them. :D I love the smell of books.

Jerry - I really like history too which is another reason why I bought the books because its like a window into the past. I would probably find your book fascinating.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

This is a set of old books that my Dad had in his shop. He owned an antique shop from the late 70's to 1992. He had a whole room dedicated to "fine old books" and was very interested in buying and selling, and I inherited this from him! These books are like encyclopedias with a variety of topics such as science,plants,rocks, astronomy, geography, electricity. There are 24 books in all, published in the early 1900's. I think they are attractive in my antique barrister's bookcase.
    [​IMG]
    set of old books ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

8. roseclutch

roseclutch New Seed

oh well, there's nothing better than really old books.
    i made my master degree on antique literature and had to check out so many antique-bookshops.
    it was heaven for me. am still glad, that i didn't throw themn away, so far.

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Kay... those look like some books I found in my dad's closet!
    His were on carpentry. We only found Volumes 1, 2 & 4.
    My dad and his brother built both of their homes. And my dad was a carpenter until the day he died. We think he used these to "learn" his craft.
    I'll get a photo of them when I get home and see if they are from the same set.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Why didn't anyone tell me there is a degree in antique literature? I wasted all that time studying secondary education, RATS! :-x
    I love books, and the best thing next to a good nursery is a good used book store. Wouldn't that make a commercial combination assured of success--plants and books. heaven!

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Here are the books that I found in my dad's closet.
    They aren't like Kay's afterall... but I'd guess very similar. They are about 6 inches tall and 1 inch thick. Stamped leather covers. Published by Theo. Audel & Company. Early-mid 1900s.
    Just wish we had volume #3!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. roseclutch

roseclutch New Seed

hey cherylad.
    i mixed up my words.
    my major was literature.
    i just made a specification and wrote my thesis about antique literature. so i really got to spent some time with my nose stuck in these old preciuosses

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I am fascinated by all of these books. I would just love to hear about some of the things you read in your window to the past, Jon. Don't hesitate to share!!!

14. FlowerFreak22

Cherylad - Those books look really cool. I love the way old books look and the fact that they are old. :p I bet they still have some useful information in them.

MaryAnn - Unfortunately I have not yet been able to extensively browse my books, but from what I have seen, they have some really cool info on thermodynamics and I even found one that has a lot of Botany information including illustrations.

I will have to post a picture on here so everyone can see them. They are not in the best condition, but I don't really care cause they are really cool. :D

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I agree with you Jon -- and can you imagine how many people have lookd through and learned from your books for them to be in the condition they are in! Now, I think that's pretty cool too.

16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have a small collection of 50's Dick and Jane Readers and a few of my grandfather's old school books from 1900. Even old dictionaries can be fascinating, especially when you look through their "new words". I have a Webster's Unabridge Dictionary from the 40's that had penicillin as a new word.

[​IMG]
    Small collection of my, my mom's and Grandfather's school books. ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    50's Dick and Jane Books ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

One of my favorites is an old gardening book. Not as many varieties in the book itself, but the owner had added lots of newspaper clippings about gardening to the book pages. It is very charming to me and the gardening news is quite good.

[​IMG]
    Old gardening book with newspaper clippings ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )