British Airways i360 at Brighton England

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I mentioned the i360 some weeks ago and several members asked to see some pictures. We went to Brighton yesterday for 'A Day At The Seaside' ;-) and had pre booked our 'flights' in the i360.
    This is the newest visitor attraction on the South Coast and is operated by BA just as if it WAS a flight: Security checks, boarding passes, 'Doors to Manual' (just joking there ;)) This is a vertical cable car that takes passengers to a height of 135 metres in a glass observation pod. The pod can carry up to 200 people and the trip operates at 20 minute intervals so you only have about 10 minutes at the top but that is plenty to enjoy the views over the English Channel and the Sussex countryside.
    Brighton does not have a skyline anything like London so I find the London Eye more exciting. That said, the i360 is a brilliant piece of engineering and you can walk around in the pod to get the views in all directions, hence the '360' name, there is a bar if you fancy indulging in a glass of Champers. It moves SO smoothly that you are not aware when it starts its trip to the top.
    Photography from inside the pod was very difficult due to unavoidable reflections in the curved glass side. Here is a small selection from the many I took on our Day at the Seaside. :);) DSCF3961a.jpg DSCF3988a.jpg DSCF3976a.jpg DSCF4005a.jpg DSCF4031a.jpg DSCF4022a.jpg DSCF4014a.jpg DSCF4018a.jpg DSCF4025a.jpg DSCF4042a.jpg

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love the views you get from the i360!! Gosh you can see everything for miles and miles. Thank you so much for posting these fantastic photographs for us.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What fantastic views and great photographs!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Beautiful views from 135 metres,..far more scenic than the London Eye,..i hope you all had a great day.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

FANTASTIC! That definitely is one uber machine! The views and vistas are pretty phenomenal too. Could you stand on any area of the floor that wasn't solid and room for standing on clear flooring (so you could look DOWN)?

Thanks for sharing the i360 :)

7. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Thanks for your nice comments folks :like:

I agree Philip that the views from i360 along the coast to The Seven Sisters and across inland to the south downs, are spectacular. The reason I do so enjoy the Eye is to pick out all the London landmarks. And as you go over the top, you are almost in space. :) This is atop the Eye....
    2011_0614(050).JPG

Islandlife likes this.