Broccoli wind damage

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Oct 12, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My broccoli were doing great until we had high winds two days ago. Now they are all laying down, pointing south. There are no roots exposed, no broken or torn leaves, just prostrate plants.
    Should I try to prop them up, leave them alone to recover on their own, or cross my fingers and hope for some broccoli heads? The plants are healthy and were about 1' tall before the winds hit.
    We've had winds before, but never this late or this strong.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never grown Broccoli (just enjoyed eating it) but I'd be inclined to give them a hand by propping them up and firming the soil around them. Fingers crossed they survive and you don't get any more strong winds before they're ready to harvest.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Eileen. And I would be inclined to add some kind of support....maybe a taut line of twine to keep them up on the south side. Or individual flying buttresses? (Ha-ha)

Growingpains likes this.
  5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I would be tempted to allow them to recover on their own, but decided to agree with Eileen and Cayuga in scooping soil around the base and tieing soft string around and to a support. Hope it works. Fresh Broccoli is delicious.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'd stand them up too.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank you all, and especially for the consensus! I have chicken wire cages that I can open, put around the broccoli after firming the soil, and then cable tie closed. I'll put stakes next to the cages and fasten them together. Anyone want some caged broccoli (at least the hens are cage-free:)!)?