Brother & his wife are getting into flower gardening

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by cherylad, Apr 4, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My "good" brother and his wife are both recently retired. Last year they decided to take up flower gardening to keep them occupied. They did a bang-up job with new flower beds in their front yard last year. But planted nothing but annuals.
    He came by this evening and I just couldn't help but laugh at his tale of going to the nursery today.
    He said, we went just to get 10-12 of those curved cement flower bed edging. No big deal, they are only around $1.50 each. Then they had to buy some garden soil. Then there was the flowers. Wait... sis-in-law spotted a plant she just had to have. But it needed a big pot. And of course they had to get some more potting soil. He said... dang... we spent over $100 in no time! :D
    I told him that they need to come flower-shopping here at the house and get things like Canna, Irises, Kalanchoes... all of which will come back every year.
    He said that my sis-in-law wants flowers "instantly". But he vowed to start getting perrenials too.
    I'm proud of them both for getting into gardening... but I did have a good chuckle from them today.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Wow, the gardening bug has spread, maybe they will be infected by the bargain hunting bug too.....do you know anyone good at bargain hunting? :)

Jerry

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well that's the kind of infection I certainly don't mind you spreading around!! Now they've both come down with the, hopefully, life-long illness you'll have to point them in the right direction for those perrenials and bargain plants that are on offer. Are you going to try an infect 'The Dragon' too by any chance? :p

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gee Cheryl, and you call Toni an "enabler"! Obviously your gorgeous flowers have inspired your brother and sis-in-law.
    She'll get over that "instant flower" thing. Give her a rose bush and she'll fall in love.
    Now, just get them to join the Stew. :)

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I think gardening skills of dragons are limited to burning bushes(Euonymus alatus) and fire plants(Euphorbia cyathophora). Also their feet are so large that walking between instead of on the plants is a problem and wind created by takeoffs and landings have been known to blow over small buildings. :-(

Jerry

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jerry.....
    I don't think they are ready for bargain plants just yet. Most of those have to be babied.
    Case in point. I recently repotted some aloe vera for one of my aunts. There were lots not even touching soil and weren't going to live. But of course I wasn't just going to throw them out. So I brought them home and potted them. Sis in law said she'd love to have some. I told her that they were in bad shape but she could get them now or wait to see if I could save them. She had my brother come get them and he was like "they look dead. Why would I want these?". "To save their lives... and they are free!" LOL
    He did take them home and said his wife is babying them. So... there's some hope for them and bargain plants.

Eileen.... not only have they been infected by the gardening bug... their daughter just bought her first home and is putting in flower beds too. They are having a contest among themselves to see who has the prettiest yard. My brother's comment. "We'll win because we have more to spend". I said... not if she proves to have a greener thumb! LOL

Jane... They do have some shrubs around their house. Not sure they have a rose bush though. Hmmmm..... maybe they can get a really early birthday present?

And as far as "the dragon".... it's a hopeless cause. He lives on his sailboat. He does like having the flowers around... but as far as growing... forget about it! :stew2: