Bryce Canyon, Utah

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Cayuga Morning, May 3, 2023.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Traveling in the southwest, we are blown away by the geology.

PXL_20230502_195044141.MP_compress94.jpg
    PXL_20230502_200615930.MP_compress38.jpg

PXL_20230502_185018284.MP_compress89.jpg PXL_20230502_185018284.MP_compress89.jpg
    These are the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon. Caused by erosion of the rock....different hardness and softness of the rocks causing differential rates of erosion. Pretty cool, huh?
    PXL_20230502_200253952.MP_compress94.jpg

S-H, Frank, cuatro-gatos and 6 others like this.
  2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love the four corners area for incredible beauty. Even the area around Las Vegas and Phoenix has some unique scenery. Thanks so much for sharing.:p

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

These foto’s are wonderful to see. The rocks and the changing of colour with the time of day are spectacular. Unforgettable sights. Thanks so much for posting these. Hope you are having a great time.

4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Looks amazing!
    When I was a young soldier, stationed in Turkey, I spent a week in Cappadocia. Somehow this reminds me of that.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This is mind bogglingly beautiful and breath taking CM. Thanks for sharing this. So beautiful. ( and is that your lovely arm in a sling? Hope all is well. If it is in a sling - what a trooper you are).

6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks all. And yes Melody, that is my arm in a sling. I broke my wrist the very first day of vacation, do you believe it? We still were able to hike every day. My hiking pole became my best friend.

S-H, Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and 2 others like this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

UGH!! I hope that recovery goes okay CM. Can't keep a good gardener down ( or hiker apparently) :)

Cayuga Morning, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Broken Wrist?!
    I didn’t know that. Let’s hope that heals properly and quickly.
    Broken wrist…
    Tough first day luck. Such a shame.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Oh dear Cayuga, hope that heals quickly and isn't too painful. Wonderful shots, and thanks for sharing.
    You will, of course, need to be waited on hand and foot for the foreseeable future :smt056 so make the most of that.

10. FranciscoNewton

FranciscoNewton New Seed

The geological wonders there are simply mesmerizing. Traveling in the southwest opens up a world of natural beauty and awe-inspiring landscapes. If you're enjoying your time exploring this region, you should definitely consider visiting more iconic landmarks nearby. From the towering red rock formations of Arches National Park to the majestic vistas of the Grand Canyon, there's no shortage of stunning sights to see. For some travel inspiration and helpful tips on planning your next adventure, you can visit site. They offer a wealth of information to help you make the most out of your travels.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Fabulous pictures indeed! And thanks for sharing with us all over here. :cool: Too bad they don't make spaghetti western movies anymore. Otherwise this looks like the perfect scenery for Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef to be settling old scores in a memorable gunfight, with buzzards circling above, and Eli Wallach desperately searching for water to drink... :chuckle:

Regarding the injured wrist, speaking from personal experience, it's highly annoying to say the least. However the most upsetting thing about it is not the injury. But the good and fully functional arm now getting used up in taking care of, (as well as filling in for), the injured arm... So in practice, we are now left with no arm at all. As one is injured, while the other functioning arm is taking care of the injured one.

The second most annoying thing is, that with all the medical advancements in our modern day and age, (like made to order casts and perfectly balanced slings) - We sometimes completely forget that the arm is injured. As at times it becomes totally painless. So this is particularly enraging, specially during sleep, when we involuntary move it. Resulting in a sudden tsunami of pain, which almost made my eyes pop out, as I woke up screaming profanities, (usually at myself for moving the injured arm accidentally)!

:rofl:

However this doesn't last longer then 2 weeks. As after that the bones heal enough, and the swelling too starts to subside. In fact the first week to 10 days are often the worst. After which everything becomes manageable.

Arm will feel stiff after it comes out of the cast, (if they are still using an inflexible type of a plaster cast). So that stiffness in the wrist will last for around 6 to 8 months. But around 2 to 3 years afterwards, it will be back to being exactly the same as it was before the injury. However in about 4 to 5 months, 90% of the functionality of the arm will be regained.

So best of luck, hang in there friend, and do enjoy the beautiful scenery - In fact the more you enjoy, the faster your hand will heal, (proven fact).

Oh yes, third most annoying thing - Cracking the finger knuckles, as well as every other joint (which is a habit of mine since childhood). So it became very frustrating when I couldn't do that for a while with the injured arm...

Itching inside the cast was also annoying, but that was manageable when I made a tool for scratch it. By bending a steel wire cost hanger, with which I could reach the itching spot inside the cast.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Ahh the many tales of injuries as we age… sending healing blessings your way.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024