Building a fountain out of a plant bed on our patio.

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by neliconcept, Jun 20, 2005.

1. neliconcept

neliconcept New Seed

Hi ive already put in the liner and filled it halfway with water but I want to make a fountain out of wood using hollow columns being built with 2x4s or whatever materials will get the job done. I want a middle column to be the tallest with two columns beside it and both at different heights and tied around with rope. I already have a decent size pump but my question is. Is there a way to keep this wood sealed so that it doesnt rott and deteriorate or do I need different materials?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

2. Loading...

3. MarketFarmer

MarketFarmer New Seed

Hi,

Instead of wood you could use a composite decking material which is made up of ground up wood fiber and plastic. It's available at a lot of home centers and cuts, nails, and screws just like wood. It comes in different colors and textures like wood grain. It doesn't rot.

On the other hand there are some woods that hold up to water quite well, such as cedar and red wood. They do deteriate in time and would have to be replaced at some time.

I've been thinking of a water feature too. I'd like to have a small one in the house during the winter when the air is dry and could use some extra moisture. Then during summer in could be moved outside by the door.

Good luck with your project.