Building Fountain using Water Well Pump-COMPLETED!

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Aug 9, 2011.

1. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

I think this is the stuff http://www.amesresearch.com/metalroof.htm Non-toxic, water based, works on all or most projects.

2. CoolAsACucumber

CoolAsACucumber New Seed

That's interesting. I'd like to see more pictures.

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thanks Cool.
    I did get the water plants in. Pink and Blue Pickerels and Water Snowball. And oh yeah... Anacharis.
    Hubby will be home next weekend so hopefully we can get the electric run out there and then he can do the finishing touches.

[​IMG]
    Fountain with plants ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Donna S and FountainMan like this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

It looks really neat Cheryl. Looking forward to seeing it running.

FountainMan likes this.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

Here's the latest "step" towards finishing this project.
    Hubby got it framed in. Our goal was to make it look like an old western water trough... not sure it does that, but I like the look any way. Still a bit more work to do, but it's a major step.
    Hubby had a great idea that solved a couple of problems... a washboard of all things!
    [​IMG]
    pump fountain, next step ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

The splashing water seemed a bit noisy and this helped muffle the sound some. Plus, it helps keep the water from splashing back and out of the tub. And I think it adds a bit of cuteness!

My cousin (the veggie gardener partner) is donating all the electrical work... hopefully soon. But in the meantime at least I can run an extension cord out there. Once that's done, then I can add the finishing touches.
    But folks... it's almost there!

[​IMG]
    pump fountain trough ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And yes... the plan changed up a bit. Instead of just "framing in" the plastic tub, we decided to extend it the length of the fence because it gave it a bit more "water trough" look and it took less work.
    I'm not exactly sure what and how I'll plant up the other part yet. But you all will be the first to know!

Jewell likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, you guys have done a spectacular job, Cheryl. Are you going to paint it or preserve it against the elements?

Well done.

7. cherylad

Thanks Sjoerd! No paint required. We used Cedar and they stand up to the weather really well.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

It's pretty, a job well done, congrats Cherylad! Great choice of wood too!

9. cherylad

Thanks KK. Yes... the Cedar was the only way to go really. We used the "pickets" that are typically used for privacy fences. They are only around $2.00 a piece and I believe it took 12 or 13 of them.

And I forgot to post a photo of the "back" side of the old pump.
    Instead of having the pipe exposed, Hubby boxed it in and then drilled a couple of holes to run the tubing. Looks nice and tidy, I think. Plus, instead of using screws on all sides, he used finish nails on one panel just in case it needed to be dismantled for some reason.

[​IMG]
    pump fountain back ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Now I need to cut away the excess cardboard that I laid down as a weed barrier; plant up the other end and wait for my cousin to run the electricity out there.

Donna S likes this.
  10. cherylad

My cousin FINALLY got the electrical work done last week! No more dragging out an extension cord... woohoo!!!
    He did all the work (except for digging the trench - Hubby did that) and supplied all the material.
    He tapped into the wiring in my storage building and first off, put two outlets right over my potting stand. That will come in handy!

[​IMG]
    start of electrical ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Then ran wire to this switch that runs the pump for the fountain.

[​IMG]
    fountain switch ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And then underground wiring out to the pole by the "trough" with two more outlets.
    Problem is... he ran out of material just before he reached the pole! If I had been at home, I'd have gladly went to the store to get what he needed. But... oh well. Beggars can't be choosers.

[​IMG]
    outlet ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

So... what am I going to do to cover up this "ugly"? I have a Blue Plumbago ready to plant in the area that would probably eventually cover it up, but the in meantime, it was driving me crazy. Hubby said he'd just build a box to put over it, but that didn't settle well with me. I had to have something CUTE!
    I thought about getting a tall clay pot to put over it but they were too expensive. On to plan B. Searched online and found what I wanted on Ebay, but again... kinda expensive. Looked at local stores... it was not to be found. I finally decided to just leave it alone for now... I'd find something eventually. Well, today while out running around, I spotted a resale store I hadn't visited before, so I stopped in. And there it was! Right by the front door! I grabbed it like it was a pot of gold!
    :D

[​IMG]
    old wooden nail keg ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

An old wooden nail keg.
    So I planted the Blue Plumbago. Set the keg in place. Placed a potted plant on top. Laid down some old concrete pieces to match the other side (I have to go beg some more from a friend)... and Done! Complete! Finished!

[​IMG]
    Keg Planted ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Fountain Finished ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    "Trough" Fountain finished ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    "Trough" Fountain - complete ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Droopy and Donna S like this.
  11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wow, when you do something you go all out. That looks GREAT!!
    Congrats, can you hear the water from the picnic table?

12. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Cool Beans 8) I really should have been with you today :D Sounds like you had a blast!! Daylily and thrift store shopping :eek: you lucky duck ;) I love the washboard in there!

14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very nice, We had the horse trough with a water pump one of our pet stores about 25 years ago. The store was 200 years and we made it sort of like a country store so the "pond and pump" was very cool. We mounted it like you all did but we made the bottom of the pump to sit at the lip of the trough, no higher. We didn't use copper but black pipe and reduced it down to a size of a flexible hose to fit the pump. We set up with a sort of table top under the pump so it didn't look like it was hanging in the air. We lined the trough with black plastic bags and used an under gravel modified to just fit the oval 90 gal trough. Once it cycled we could put 2500 feeder gold fish in it for the week. It did that for at least 5 years. there was never a problem with it the whole time we had the store and it did look cool.

Wish I had pictures of it but we never had time for that kind of thing.

Barb in Pa.

15. cherylad

Thanks Toni. In order to keep my siblings happy with my little projects, I HAVE to make them really look neat!
    LOL
    And yes... we can hear the water almost from anywhere in my "area"... and from the other side towards my brother's storage building too. Unless of course there's lots of activity.

Thanks Deanna... I definitely had a full day (and my aching back is proof)!
    LOL
    But... one major project complete. I love that feeling.

Wow Barb... that sure sounds interesting! 2500 fish? Oh my!