bunkie doings...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by bunkie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Hey Donna, we're down to 7 girls and one boy as things happen like owls and such...but...we have an order in for 6 more girls, 2 more boys (these will be Khaki Campbells) and a pair of geese!!! They'll be here the week of the 30th. Pete can't wait!!!

2. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Look what showed up at the farm April 4th! Some Khaki Campbell ducklings and a pair of French Toulouse goslings!!! (We've never had geese before....they look like a little Big Bird!) We lost one girl in the travels, but every one else is eating, sleeping and kicking! So far their most favorite thing to do is stand in the bowl of scrambled eggs and soaked oatmeal!
    [​IMG]The 'kidz' are no longer sitting on their scrambles eggs...they've learned it's more fun to fling them all over the walls and each other!
    [​IMG]
    The geese and ducks' first swim...we were changing cages and figured since this one was dirty, we might as well let them check out a dish of water. The geese, as usual, were curious, but the duck, the runt of the litter, went right in! One goose eventually fell in! We ended up blow drying them afterwards...talk about fluffy birds!!! :O)And, Sammy finally discovers the baby ducks and geese...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Every morning we see these two heads pop up over the splash guard in their pen demanding breakfast...the geese...the ducklings are just too short!
    [​IMG]After their soaked oatmeal this morning, (check out the walls), a goose got curious...first time here with goslings and we're finding them a riot. Really intelligent kidz, growing really fast just like Wendy said they would! They're getting along famously with the ducklings! They don't look like Big Bird anymore, but like Dinosoars!!!
    [​IMG]
    We're experimenting and feeding them oatmeal, squash, potatoes, ferments, etc... so they won't be fussy like our older kidz. Hopefully they'll teach the elders to eat the other (good) stuff, too! Live and learn, we're always learnin'!!!

Sjoerd, Frank and Jewell like this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What fun! We had khakis for years. You'll have no shortage of eggs in a short time. Those goslings are cute. Will they be watch geese?

Advertisement
  5. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

My, what great gardens you have. Love the cat. I have one too, her name is Ms Kitty, hence my name on here.

6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Ducklings may be the cutest things on the planet. Your lot look very happy Bip. Thanks for posting them for us all to see :like:

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Thanks Frank! So far, so good! They want to go outside, but the temps are still a bit too cold for babies.

Cute kitty ms kitty!

Yes Jewell! We're hoping they'll be great guard geese! Course, we won't complain if their eggs are tasty too! We're just amazed at how wonderful they adapting to us. So tame and gentle!

We had the Khakis before and found them to be more tameable and less skiddish than the Welsh Harlequins...but the info says the opposite! We got the WH cause they had no Khakis at the time we were ordering. We are so so so happy to have Khakis again! They're so mild mannered, like the geese...hmmm...maybe the geese are teaching them!

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    All geese I have been acquainted with were pretty nasty, but good guards. Hope yours remain gentle once they start laying. Great parents though. Geese eggs...now those would be sizable. :fingerscrossed:Good luck:fingerscrossed:

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Hey Jewell, we've heard about geese being nasty, so we have tried to be extra gentle with these two and so far it's working! They've all been in a pen in the greenhouse and today will move into a pen inside the old ducks' pen so all can get acquainted....thru the fence! I'm sure the older ducks are gonna be really shocked when they see the geese!!!

BTW, I have got them on a completely fermented feed diet now. They seem to really enjoy it and are thriving on it!

View My Video

Frank and Jewell like this.
  10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Cough cough cough....very smokey here from the wildfires, most started by lightening...got a couple quick pics of the garden...

sweet peppers

[​IMG]

ronde de nice squash

[​IMG]

potatoes

[​IMG]

cayenne peppers

[​IMG]

big plane watering fire

[​IMG]

waretrop likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'm so glad you checked in--watching the Washington wildfires on the TV news, I was wondering if you were safe. I hope the air quality doesn't affect your garden.
    We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for your safety. Let us know how you are (we are worry-warts!).

12. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Thanks mg! Life's been one dayum thing after another up here, if you know what I mean. Everything you see on the news about eastern WA. is true. I thought last year was bad, oh my! We have so much smoke. Fires are to the east andnorth of us right now. So far the winds have kept us protested. We're concerned about a cold front coming in tonight with very gusty winds and thunderstorms...that's what started these other fires a week plus ago. Most of all, it's so sad to see so many of our friends losing their homes. We just have too many fires and not enough firefighters. They're now sending in national guard and soldiers from McCord to Chelan...maybe we'll get some of them here!
    So far, the smoke's just bothering the people, not the critters or gardens! I won't bore you with the smoke pics...like looking at a polar bear in a snowstorm, ya know?! Hugs to you all!:)

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh my, Bunkie, I was wondering about you, too. Glad you checked in and be careful and safe.

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

The fire is 100 percent 'contained', tho they say it probably won't burn out till the snow flies! Woot! Onto digging potatoes, picking apples, pears, etc..., canning, drying, and on and on. Amazing harvest here with all the smoke and heat! Pics soon! Hope all Stewbies are well and had a great harvest!

Frank, Jewell and stratsmom like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Really pleased to see you Bunkie.
    Well, if it wasn't hot enough there you had to go and grow cayenne peppers! hahahaha.
    You have a lot of things to harvest thee. Getting those spuds harvested and stored is going to keep you busy for a while....or do you plan to sell some of them?