Butterflies- two Swallowtails and a Buckeye

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by toni, May 22, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Woooohoooo, I love stepping out in the back yard this year. Everytime I do many different kinds of butterflies are flitting around all over the flowers. At least half a dozen of the Cabbage Whites and several Hackberry butterflies, both of which are hard to catch in pictures because they move so quickly and are hard to sneak up on.

This is a Tiger Swallowtail
    [​IMG]

A female Black Swallowtail, she has more blue on the hindwing than the male and possibly I will have more caterpillars showing up next year with her visiting this year. She is what comes from the caterpillars I found munching on the Fennel the other day.
    [​IMG]

This one is a Buckeye, a pretty fuzzy picture since I had to stay back a ways from him, they are pretty skittish.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

They are beautiful! It's always nice to know someone else enjoys all your hard work. I don't get many big butterflys mainly monarch.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your butterflies are really lovely Toni. Sadly we don't get any of the species you photographed over here. :(

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Those are very pretty. I only remember seeing Monarchs around here, but I'll be paying more attention now!

Advertisement
  6. hummingbird3172

hummingbird3172 In Flower

I just LOVE those Tiger Swallowtails! I haven't seen so many butterflies recently, mostly frittilaries and lots of tiny types (hairstreaks and skippers).

7. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

They are beautiful Toni! My family loves butterflies! My husband's dad collects butterflies. We don't use any kind of insecticides on our plants so we don't kill any of them. We have alot of chewed up plants but it is well worth it!

8. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Buckeye is one of my favorites. It's hard to know which is more beautiful-flowers or the butterflies that visit them.