Butterfly, future caterpillars and a very large Dragonfly

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Jun 2, 2010.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a Parsley plant in the raised rose bed out front that came thru the winter snows with flying colors and has grown to about 3feet tall and is in bloom. I only planted it to be a host plant for butterflies, one out front and one out back.
    This morning I noticed a black beauty flitting hurriedly around the Parsley and a couple of other blooming plants. I do believe the Parley will soon be dinner to some hungry, hungry caterpillars. She just never would settle anywhere for her photo session so I found this picture on line....
    http://girlsinwhitedresses.files.wordpr ... wtail1.jpg

Out back this morning I watched a Libellula croceipennis Neon Skimmer Dragonfly flitting around the garden. He stopped a couple of times but never long enough for me to get a photo. But this is what he looked like...
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/36801

I have got to find out more about Dragonflies and Damselflies, I have seen several Damselflies flitting around but this is the first bright red Dragonfly I have seen out there.

I will be trying to get my own photos of these beauties!!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have those butterflies here but I have never seen a damselfly like your red one.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Butterflies are scarce here but dragon flies and damself flies are everywhere.

I can only hope that the flowers I am growing will change my luck and attract just one butterfly as beautiful as you see down there.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It must be such fun to see those lovely insects. They are remarkable-looking creatures.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Lovely to see the red dragon fly is around other parts of the world. It is the one variety of dragon fly that has always posted itself around our little ponds year after year. I have a fondness for them and their bright red color (the females are a duller almost brown).

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Aren't you lucky to have such beauties around you. :D I'd gladly offer up some parsley to have those in our garden. And we need to start on the planned pond soon too. I like dragonflies.