Butterfly Love

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by cajunbelle, Aug 5, 2006.

1. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

How do butterflies mate? We saw a pair today flying in circles around each other, it looked as if the bigger one was attacking the smaller one. We were wondering if this was their mating dance. This went on for about 30 seconds then the larger butterfly flew off.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

http://centralamerica.com/cr/butterfly/

See if this helps. I can't find anything that gives info on whether they have a mating dance, but the actual mating is not done in the air.

Were the butterflies flying under or around a Hackberry tree? There is a Hackberry butterfly and it's relative the Tawny Emperor that fly in circle around each other, flit and zoom off for no apparent reason then start up again. We have a bunch (I was able to count around 20 one evening) who do that. Really a fun thing to watch in the early evening just before dark.

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Right time of the evening, but different butterflies. These were swallowtails. I was just curious, I love watching them too, but often don't have the time. I guess I should make the time one evening when I get home. They love our zinnias, cosmos, and the few daylilies that are still blooming.