Butterhorn Cookies, The Revealing Story.

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Jerry Sullivan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The Original Unedited Recipe

1 pint sour cream
    2 eggs, separated
    1 pound butter, melted
    4 cups flour

Filling:
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 cups chopped walnuts
    1 tablespoon cinnamon

Mix sour cream and egg yolks. Add melted butter and stir until blended. Add flour and mix well. Dough will be soft - between a batter and a dough. Chill, covered overnight the consistency of soft fudge. Combine all filling ingredients. Divide chilled dough into 8 parts and keep refrigerated while working with one part at a time. Roll each part into a circle, about 12" in diameter. Sprinkle with 1/8 of the filling. Cut into 12 or 16 wedges. Use a pastry wheel to crimp the edges. Roll up each wedge, starting at the wide end. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Brush tops with lightly beaten egg whites. Bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes.

The modified recipe

The dough (same):
    1 pint sour cream
    2 eggs, separated
    1 pound butter, melted
    4 cups flour

The Filling (modified):
    1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix sour cream and egg yolks. Add melted butter and stir until blended. Add flour and mix well. Dough will be soft - between the consistency of batter and dough. Chill, covered overnight , it will be the consistency of soft fudge. Combine all filling ingredients. Divide chilled dough into 8 parts and keep refrigerated while working with one part at a time. Roll each part into a circle, about 10" in diameter on a floured surface like granite. Cut into 8 wedges, like a pizza. Place 1/8 of the filling on top of wedge. Roll up each wedge, starting at the wide end. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Brush tops with lightly beaten egg whites. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

Blow by Blow description

The night before, making the dough:

Melt one pound of butter in a sauce pan, while that is melting, separate the two eggs. save the egg whites. In a large bowl mix the sour cream with the two egg yokes, stir in the melted butter, add the flour and mix throughly. If you mixed by hand take a rest…..At this point the entire mixture, the consistency of gooey fudge, went covered into the refrigerator. The next day the mixture was solid like fudge. I cut the mixture into 8 pieces.

The filling: I made the filling using the quantities in the first set of instructions, I only used about two thirds, so I reduced the quantities.

Baking day:

[​IMG]
    Baking Day ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Taking one of the 8 parts of dough from the refrigerator, I rolled it out on a granite surface into a circle about 10 inches using a generous amount of flour to keep it from sticking. A pizza cutter divided the circle into 8 wedges. The wedges were lined up with the wide end toward me. I sprinkled the filling on the wedges and rolled them starting with the wide end to the point. On to the ungreased cookie sheet they went. I brushed them with the egg-whites and popped them into the oven at 350°F for 25 minutes.

Comments:

The dough had to remain in the refrigerator else it soften too much and it would be difficult to roll. I eyeballed the dough in the bowl and cut into eight parts. It may be easier for some, the previous night, to separate the soft dough into 8 parts, whatever works. When I took the dough out of the refrigerator I just worked it into a circle under a piece of waxed paper, floured it and rolled it into a flat circle. The pizza wheel made it easy to make 8 wedges. I do not have a pastry wheel so the edges were not crimped, whatever that means. Beat the egg whites into submission, it does not take much as they are softies.

The original baking time was on the short side so 5 minutes were added to the 15 but still not done. Not wanting crispy critters I looked at 2 and 3 minute intervals they ever almost there, I think I added another 5 minutes. The other 7 batches were done at 375° F for 25 minutes. This worked. Later Joyce talked with someone else that had made them before and she said the lower temperature/longer time made them taste better. Munch, munch, munch, taste O.K. to me. :) Anyway that is the cookie story. And of course zero calories :-o

Jerry

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...