Cactus and Lithops from seeds challenge!

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by SadSunday, Mar 6, 2019.

1. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Hi, Stewies! I always been interested in cactus, succulents, "living stone". And coming spring is a great time to try something new. So, I am thinking about growing some from seeds (not from Ebay, locally bought). How deep in trouble I am? Some say if you can keep them alive for a year you deserve a medal, and you better buy already grown plant than try the seed way. Is it that hard? Any advices/sources/handbooks for an eager planter-human?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

not deep trouble... just a new challenge. they don't do well with too much moisture. that is the hardest part. they are incredibly little seeds and we have a tendency to over water these things because they look dry. heating mats or a nice warm surface is very helpful and a sandy potting mix not soil a sterile soiless mix that doesn't contain fungus and bacteria to attack and kill the seeds as they start to emerge. and they generally grow very slow. very very slow.

4. tindi

tindi New Seed

I bought cactus seeds but nothing sprouted. I am trying to grow succulents from leaves at the moment and I have two that have sprouted.