Calculating how much mulch your garden needs

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by toni, Jan 3, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When it comes to cubic yards, cubic feet, etc I have not the faintest idea of how much those numbers actually come out to when trying to figure out how much mulch I might need when we buy it in bulk as I hope to do next month.
    I found this little bit of info that might clear up some confusion for some of us.

* 1 cubic yard @ 4" thick covers 81 square feet
    * 1 cubic yard @ 3" thick covers 108 square feet
    * 1 cubic yard @ 2" thick covers 162 square feet

Sorry, you metric users will have to convert for yourselves, my brain can't handle that right now ;)

Frank likes this.
  2. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

That sounds pretty accurate! The way my boss taught me many moons ago, is to measure the square footage (I use a measuring wheel) and then divide that number by 100 to get the number of yards needed to cover with a 3 inch layer. I've done it for so long now, I'm pretty good at "guestimating" when I eyeball a new job. It's never exact, unless the space is a square or rectangle with straight edges... doesn't happen that way very often!
    I love mulch, and love the way it dresses up a garden.

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thanks Toni and Kay for the information. I too have been thinking of getting a truckload of mulch and didn't have a clue of how much I would need.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Adding my thanks for the information! I may have to drive 50 miles to get a load of mulch, but at the rate I'm going with the gardens, it will be worth it. I'll get the loader to tell me how many cubic yards/feet I'm getting, so I'll know how much ground I can cover.
    Without you folks, I'd have no clue (well, I'm generally clueless but right now we are talking clueless about mulch amounts.)

5. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

*Mulch* means different things to different gardeners.

An arborist is going to want (and need) chipped or shredded bark mulch. Likewise a flower gardener might make use of bark mulch.

A vegetable gardener might want autumnal leaves and grass clippings for mulch.

For me this has meant a slow drive on trash day to look for (and steal) bags of leaves.