Calling On Canners And In-freezers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We are considering including chopped onions with our chopped beetroot when we freeze them in, in freezer baggies.

My question goes out to folks that do this or expressly do not do this. I am interested in experiences and reasons why one would not include the onions.

I have read quite a bit on the internet, but now I am interested your experience and knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    Logan, Melody Mc. and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That's a good question. I can a lot, but haven't grown beetroots. So no experience there. I include onions in the salsa, no problem there. Is the issue that the onions would become purple?

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and S-H like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for answering, Daniel. No it is not about the colour change. I was wondering if the onions would cause the beetroot to change in any way, like degrading or some other effect. I also wondered if the beetroot would take on too much flavour from the onions. something along those lines.

S-H and Daniel W like this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The beetroot has finished boiling and is cooling-down now. We will begin the skinning and cutting either soon or this evening when we return from the lottie.
    69713062-9690-4B5C-AA0D-255E005B13A0.jpeg

BTW Daniel, thanks for returning the colander. It came just in time.

Daniel W, Logan and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

As far as I know, and no, I don't claim to be an expert in this field - But all that we really need to be very meticulous about, is hygiene. So if everything is properly sterilized, there shouldn't be any problems. And of course, no oxygen or air pockets in the final packaging. Because that's basically the root cause of spoilage. Otherwise no major problems.

So as far as I know, and again, I'm no expert - But using a pressure cooker is essential. As that kills of bacteria at almost every level, without damaging much of the food fibers, (where the flavor is actually).

Logan, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

S-H— Thanks for your ideas.

Melody Mc. and S-H like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I have frozen diced beets and diced onions together Sjoerd. I used it to make harvard beets during the winter. I have also pickled my beets with diced onion from time to time.

I found the flavour in both just fine. When I froze the beets and onions, the onion pieces were smaller than the beets though - just the nature of my intended dish. I also blanched the onions, just like the beets, but seperately.

I think you should give it a bash :) You can always do a few bags and then you will know for next year .

Sjoerd, Daniel W, Logan and 1 other person like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

..... I'm going to ask my leek question of you on this thread if that is okay :) I have a bountiful harvest and you mentioned blanching and freezing them. I've been reading about it, but would love to know your tricks of the trade.

Sjoerd, Logan and S-H like this.
  10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Another very useful gadget when it comes to long term food storage and packaging - Is an anti bacterial UV sterilizer chamber, (just don't ever use it in the open without any eye protection).

So for cleaning any surface, and specially transparent clear glass jars off bacteria which will later spoil everything in storage - This is essential, as there is no substitute for it when it comes killing off microbial pests.

So just like dentists use an autoclave to sterilize their tools, this too is a very useful gadget to have in the kitchen - Provided we are packaging food for a long period, and in enough quantity to justify the cost of this item.

But practically speaking though, a pressure cooker does the job very well. And can even be used to sterilize the tin cans and glass jars, (when put in water inside the pressure cooker on a high heat for 15 minutes). But this UV sterilizer chamber is another good option. After either, you can store anything for long term, be it in a frozen state or otherwise.

IMG_20230913_200820.jpg

Military meals ready to eat are also prepared and packaged in the same way. Where the packing material is almost always sterilized by UV light. And the food to be stored in it is always getting the pressure cooker treatment. After which it's all sealed in a clean environment.

IMG_20230913_202145.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention in my posts above. Is that food preparation and storage is a very enjoyable and most rewarding hobby - Which we as gardeners should always indulge in! As when we put to use whatever we grew ourselves, then the pleasure from such an activity is easily doubled. Therefore I'm really happy to read (as well as be part of) such a positive conversation over here.

:stew1:

Logan likes this.
  12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Now I'm inspired to try it also. So this is what I found when I started searching.