Can anyone please identify these plants.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by tweetykiss, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Hank

Hank Seedling

I see what you mean. Milkweed leaves grow right from the main stem.

Mmmmmm, me likes pecans.

2. tweetykiss

tweetykiss Seedling

Now I am wondering if I made a very bad decision...until the subject of milkweek came up, I told DH to take the clippers and cut off the saplings and he did using his muscles....

Now did I just know down a good plant :'( :'( :'(

or did I get rid of an unwanted tree? 8) 8) 8)

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I have a weed that looks just like the top photos, it grows by Mom's and when it gets big my brother just cuts it down and of course it comes back. The stem is reddish, the leaves come straight off the stem until it reaches the top, then they branch,and it makes a flower stalk that stands straight up with little white flowers up and down the flower stalk. Wish I could get a pic but something is wrong with DD's camera cord. The leaves are identical. Pretty weed though.

purpleinopp likes this.
  4. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Just wondering why u wouldn't want a pecan tree.

Advertisement
  5. Gymsock

Gymsock New Seed

I realize this is an old thread but if anyone comes across this, like I just did, I would like to help identify of the first two plants pictured to rest. I am from the Chicago area and that is definitely the shrub-like plant Pokeberry or Pokeweed. How do I know? I've got one growing in my yard right now and have for a few years. Often the stems are red or purplish but they can also be mostly green but with some red in parts. This weed grows very fast--can reach 6-7 feet quickly--mine arrived in the garden via bird droppings. After producing a long strand of white flowers, the fruit that follows is beautiful purple berries. Google "pokeweed roots" it you want to see the taproot that allows this plant to grow so fast. I really like the look of this bush but almost all parts are toxic except to birds.

Comment: cajunbelle described it well

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    purpleinopp and Frank like this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I know pokeweed!! We have it growing in any waste area. I remember making "ink" or "dye" with the berries as a kid. There was another thread on the Stew about the song "Poke Salad Annie". That refern to pokeweed.

I wonder what happened to that possible pecan tree. Or the possible campanula.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thank you Gymsock..... "sure is a funny username" this thread was laying around going down in history wrong. Hopefully someone reads this to the end and finds your correction....THANK YOU.....

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor