Can I save my Dumb Cane?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Brittany, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Brittany

Brittany New Seed

I got my Dumb Cane 3 days ago and when I brought it in the leaves started to shrivel. I moved it to a warmer bedroom upstairs because I figured it was getting too cold. I had both of my dumb canes next to my fireplace and under a led light for one night thinking they need to be warmed up. The next morning I woke up and both the plants are drooped over. Can I save them?

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

To me, unfortunately, your Dumb Cane isn't looking too good. When you got it did it happen to come from a nice lovely warm Greenhouse atmosphere and then end up sitting in a car in the freezing cold for any length of time? To me it looks like it got super duper cold for a while. Not enough to freeze solid but sufficient to damage the internal integrity of the plant. I'm maybe totally wrong however that is how it looks to me.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How much have you watered it? Many more plants die from too much water than from not enough. If the soil is wet, take the plant out, wrap the roots in a towel to absorb some of the water. Using dry soil, repot. Keep it moist but not soggy. Before watering stick you finger into the soil to the second knuckle, if dry down that deep them water sparingly.