Can you have too much garden junk?

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by kuntrygal, Oct 5, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If I believed I had enough garden junk I would not keep going shopping at my favorite thrift store. :rolleyes:

2. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Way to go Toni

I believe gardening serves many purposes.
    For me Gardening is therapeutic and if going to the thrift shop to add to your collection of "junk" then by all means get your dose of therapy.

3. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Toni, leave some for me! I'll be up there over the holidays :smt111

4. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I agree with the it is up to the gardener attitude. It your garden and it's about what you like.:).
    I love junk too! I have old antique junk in my yard like old plows,milk cans,troughs,headboards,hand water pumps.I also have a couple of big rusty metal pots that belonged to my Nanny! I also have new junk mixed in with the old. I want more too!;)

Advertisement
  5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When the topic was around earlier I didn't have much of anything. But, I have made up for that. Everywhere you look there's something. A bridge, an arbor with bench, patio tables, chairs, rabbit, cat, raccoon, pig, turtles, gnomes, buddahs, a large wheel, scarecrows, etc. Plus pots, tubs and maybe a bush or two. dooley

6. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

My mom took me to a yard that was filled with junk when I was 17. When I was 37, that yard was featured in Southern Living as art. Now people purchase the yard junk and the lady is on the tourist attraction for our area. I love to see people's personalities on display. I thought the ladies personality was "crazy" but she had the last laugh.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

You just never know, D2D, how your tastes and likes will change over the years. I wish now, I had paid more attention to my mothers 'old junque', instead of thinking it was just junk :!:

8. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

I have a lot of land around me, but I have a very grouchy landlady :scheming: . . . last year we went a round regarding my ivy . . . no, it wasn't crawling up the chimney, and I was keeping it trimmed so it would not go up the walls. . . I ended up in tears while jerking it out of the ground along with everything else, and pitching it in the kudzu . . . She stiffles my artistic side . . . But then I am a drama queen when it comes to something I am passionate about, and I was surprised this year when flowers and plants came back anyway. It is sometimes hard for me to be assertive without being aggressive . . . and it's something I have been working on for years . . . by God's good grace I have mellowed some. :oops:

9. flopsy

flopsy New Seed

SongofJoy, I have the same problem and am also working on it. I still get mad as a wet-setting hen sometimes. About La Junque, I like it. It's nice to walk through a yard and be surprised by an "accessory" to the flowers and shrubs. My favorite in my yard is an old enamel coffee pot (partly rusted), the kind you had to use on top of a stove.

10. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

My cousin took one of her husband's old workboots, and painted it to look even more beat up than it actually was, and placed a small flowerpot with a geranium in it. I thought that was sort of neat looking.

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

That's what I keep forgetting to add to my junque :)
    I need to ask my son to save an old boot for me when he gets new ones ;) Couldn't be any cheaper :D

12. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Kuntrygal:
    Make sure to bend the end of it up at the toe, so it will look old-timey. ;)

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Thanks, good idea :!: Hadn't thought of that ;)

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I think it is how you present your garden art. If you just throw it up and it doesn't really have a flow (your garden area) it looks messy. If it is organized I like more but I am a less person. I like to look at the MORE places but I am always worried mine will look too junky...so I play it safe.

15. MrBrownThumb

MrBrownThumb New Seed

I don't have "garden junk" I have "indoor garden junk" I keep buying things at the thrift store and dollar store to decorate plants and pots and you can never stop looking because the day you do there will the that thing you've wanted forever.