Can you have too much garden junk?

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by kuntrygal, Oct 5, 2007.

1. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I am really getting the urge to go 'junking' again. I have a list of things that I really want to look for. One of them being a childs old little peddle car, preferably dented and rusted to put a plant in (on the seat). Another being an iron headboard. But I am sure other things will catch my eye ;)

AAnightowl likes this.
  2. stacy131

stacy131 New Seed

I believe you CAN. One of our neighbors down the road has cars that he cut in half, hitched together and displayed in his front yard (don't ask me why). And they ask why American home prices have dropped...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think any of us would disagree with you on that, but we are not talking about real and true junk in our yards...we are talking about taking interesting items and making them useful in the garden.

4. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Still love garden junk. I found a new place that have gazing balls and I want them all (they are reasonably priced).

Advertisement
  5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Just give me more, more, more !!!!!!! In fact I got another gazing ball yesterday. Have wanted a (solid)red one for two years and couldn't find one. So now I am happy for now!

6. fastgrey

fastgrey New Seed

I agree to each their own. Personally I have a lot of driftwood, and beach rocks being that I live a stones throw from the ocean. and I have to have my solar lights. Old washtubs and galvanized buckets. Just remember to save room for plants, lol.
    Cheers,
    fastgrey

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I just ran across this old posting. I love having junk in the garden... it just gives you something else to look at and helps draw peoples attention to an area. "What's that over there?" and then they'll get to look at the plants close-up. But, I guess it's possible to have too much... nah.... probably not. :D

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I would like to have a few decorations whether it is "junk" or not, but I don't have time to keep up with the weeding if I have stuff all around. So I don't keep any. (The weeds around the "junk" not the weeds in the garden, btw).

9. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

I can never get enough I always find a spot somewhere just wished I had trees to hang stuff in

10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I would think it depends on the amount of space that you have. It is always tempting to have/want more. If you live someplace with all kinds of zoning ordinances, you could get into trouble with too much stuff in the yard. Or if you live in a place with one of those idiot homeowner's associations, better move before you get into garden junque-ing. They really frown on that sort of thing. They do not even like veggie gardens :eek: and can be very mean. But if you have the space, and the land is yours, go for it!

Kuntrygal, I dont know if you were here earlier this summer or not, but I got bitten by a copperhead in my front yard. And there was not even any junk there. Just some English ivy climbing a maple tree. Me, I would want to be cautious on some of it, just in case it attracts snakes... :rolleyes: Keep everything in between mowed good just as a precaution. Some of the websites I looked at [as suggested by friends on a few forums re keeping snakes away] suggested having your yard bulldozed clean off the planet and nothing much of anything growing. Booo on them. I have to have flowers and trees and stuff. I just have to be more careful.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I am a junker too. I love my junk but I do like it to be peeking out of plants or nestled in the garden so it isn't the first thing you see. Well, other than my 6 foot black widow spider hanging on the side of a shed! :eek: