can you overwinter tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by 102christa, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 102christa

102christa Seedling

I've been googling around and all I get is that they are perennial but are used as an annual. I haven't really had much luck with tomatoes this summer.

My last attempt has been growing them upside down and I got two that seems dead, one that has little tomatoes but no leaves and one that's just beautiful with leaves and little tomatoes.

We are entering a very sudden autumn here and I don't want to give up on the little trooper now, so does anyone have experience with seeing them through the winter? Cover it up or just move it out of the cold? Stop watering altogether or just water it less?

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

What are the summer and winter temps in SA ? Are the tomatoes in the ground or in a pot ? What variety are they ? If they are a determinate variety that makes its fruit all at once rather than spread out over several weeks it would be best to trash those and try indeterminate varieties. Did they make any tomatoes at all ?

4. 102christa

102christa Seedling

I'm in a Zone 9B. In Summer our day temp is average 30 C (86 F) and night temp 15 C (59 F). In winter our day temp is average 20 C (68 F) and nights as low as -1 (30 F).

I have no idea what tomatoes it is. Looks like a kind of cherry tomato because the ones that are growing is about 2cm diameter.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi 102,

Do you have a heated greenhouse?
    I do not know if it would be possible on a small scale, but there are professional growers here with huge greenhouses that do just that.

It may be possible, but not without a good heating system during the winter months, I believe.

Advertisement
  6. 102christa

102christa Seedling

No greenhouse no.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

My guess is that it is a determinate variety. They usually make all the blooms and tomatoes over a very short period then stop producing. Your summer temps are fine but the winter temps would be too cold for tomatoes unless given some protection and heat. Try getting an indeterminate variety that will produce over a longer period. You can prune them back some and start them again as long as the weather holds. You can also take cuttings and root them in water for new plants same as the mother plant. They root easily. Try taking cuttings from the plant you have now and start again.

8. 102christa

102christa Seedling

That's a good idea Mart, I'll try the cuttings.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thats how I get my replacement plants. I need to start some now.