Can you pinch too many suckers?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Northerner, Jul 24, 2018.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

I don`t see a problem with the fertilizer you use !! But I would rake the mulch back for a while ! The mulch is holding the water in, it needs to evaporate and dry the soil ! Tomatoes do not like a lot of water ! Every 1 1/2 to two weeks is plenty of water for them depending on the temperature !

2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Northerner, your tomato plants look a lot like mine do. My plants are tall, not vibrant looking, yellow bottom branches, less fruit than I expected. WE had less rain than needed. I poured water around the base of each plant about every other day, fed Epsom salt. One thing I failed to do was bury them far enough under the soil. I did No till. The Grape tomatoes are giving us plenty. Some of mine are from seed and some I bought, both are producing at the same rate, except for one batch which I sort of dumped into a corner of one patch, barely putting them below the surface and very close together. They're the best producers.

3. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

Well I have been fertilizing since I started this thread and the yellowing got much better. I'm getting plenty of fruit but I feel I would have more if I hadn't punched so much internodal growth. I still have a few "Buffalo Beef Steak" that look alot like Charlie Brown's sad little Christmas tree. I'm also having trouble with over watering, so I need to pull the mulch away from the bases of the plants.

Growingpains likes this.
  4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I usually snip out most suckers and have even grown new plants from a sucker. However, this year, I have mostly just left the suckers alone.
    My companion put a dozen tomato plants in an area of about 4 ft by 8 ft. He buried the plants about 6 inches below soil surface. He only waters and fertilizes them and he has gorgeous tomatoes. I hate him, but I sure enjoy his tomatoes. ;)

Advertisement