Candy Canes

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Dec 2, 2018.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My husband loves candy canes, and I always got a box and hung canes on our tree. By Christmas Day the canes were gone (but I had another box stashed.) He has been diagnosed with diabetes, which he is managing very well, but no candy canes this year.
    Yesterday he mentioned that, although he couldn't have candy canes, others could, and perhaps a local charity or two could use a couple of boxes to hand out to children or adults. I called the food pantry, local nursing home, and the families in crisis center. People sure get excited about candy canes! Looks like I'll be buying several boxes of canes.
    Now, isn't he just the nicest man to think of giving candy canes instead of mourning his inability to enjoy them?

2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Is he type 1 or type 2 ? As a type 1 diabetic and have been for 30 years I suggest letting him keep a box in whatever vehicle he drives ! If this is a new diagnosis he will figure this out ! It is extremely dangerous to have a crash while driving ! He will be able to tell as time goes by when his BS is getting low and a bit of that candy cane will keep him alert ! There are some things you can get by with when on diabetic medications and some you can`t ! I take insulin so I can adjust mine as needed but oral medications are not so easy !

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, he is on oral medications, and has tracked his blood sugar and blood pressure faithfully. We are fortunate in that he's had no complications or reactions. He is a retired engineer, and has charts of all sorts of physical information which he shares with his doctor (who is very impressed!).

Jewell likes this.
  4. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just tell him never to be without some sort of sugar with him !! He will be glad at some point in time !! The rules have somewhat changed over the years !! Years ago a doctor told you to never use sugar,, more recently they tell you to always have it with you !! Believe me,, its worth it !! You just have to learn how your own body reacts with the medication over time and with how you eat !! More than once I have found myself somewhere in town without a clue as to why or what I should do there !! When your blood sugar drops it does not get the necessary oxygen to the brain to think clearly !! Believe me,, it can happen before you are aware of it !!
    A Chart may help with the blood pressure but there are too many factors that affect the blood sugar for them to be useful !! But he will learn all this over the years !!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    marlingardener likes this.
  6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Lovely gesture MG of your hubby and diabetes is a nightmare to live with, especially this time of year where self indulgence occurs...as chocolate is getting my worst enemy and having an hubby who keeps buying your choc's doesn't help :smt043

7. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

How about Gravy or Pickle flavored candy canes?

8. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

9. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Clam flavored candy canes

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@Petronius I hadn't got a clue what Clam flavour was typed it in google...it's a right old mixture :eek: :setc_068:

This clam candy is packed with flavor from the crispy bacon, yellow potatoes, whole baby clams, sauteed onion, celery, carrots, cream, milk, and spices.

11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Mac and cheese flavored candy canes

12. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@Petronius that must be sickly candy...to much cheese :whistling:

13. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Oreo flavored candy canes