Canned Up Bacon And Lemon Juice Today

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by waretrop, Aug 12, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]

Here is the finished bacon. It may not look great but when you open it and heat it you wouldn't know it wasn't fresh. I buy things in large amounts when they are at a good price. I usually buy all someone has.

Sjoerd, While I am canning, I am looking and making plans for what I have to do the next day. That tells me what pots I can put away and what pots I should leave on the table in the pantry for the next days work.

2. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I think knowing what the taste is like is more important than how it looks. I just had bacon and eggs for breakfast yum ... looking at your canned bacon makes me want MORE!!!

Eating bacon here is like eating gold because it cost an arm and a leg. At $2 a pound is a real bargain.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Remarkable woman, you are.
    It sounds like a logical way to plan as you go.
    I assume that you have to buy little in the coming year.

4. waretrop

Well, I still have some canned and frozen from earlier this year. I may need to buy by the end of the year but I will only do that when slab bacon is cheap. I have never been without in recent years.

Same with butter. I have frozen and canned. I buy it only when it's on sale. I buy allot when it is on sale.

Thanks Sjoerd. I love the things you do also. Logic is important when storing food.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I should buy more, but I don't have the time to do what you do or the space to freeze it. I should buy another freezer, I think. I went to get some butter for a batch of cookies for my market on Tuesday, for a customer who is always asking for chocolate chip cookies, And it was $3.49 a pound :eek: at Save-a-lot. I only bought one box. I normally don't spend that much money on a box, but since I was selling the cookies I did it.

6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Barb & Carolyn--I don't have the space or time either....but I am very impressed by those who do!

After retirement, my parents canned & froze food from their very large garden. I was away from home at that point, and unfortunately never learned how to can.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

You are one busy lady waretrop...great job. Like others have said, I have never heard of canning bacon. I was just at the store and they are charging 79 cents for 1 lemon right now. When they go on sale I want to buy some and use them in my garbage disposal to freshen it in-between cleaning.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

CM, The first step to canning is getting the Ball Blue Book. That explains in simplicity the steps of how and what you can can.. Then you get your equipment collected... beg, borrow, or buy it. I would recommend new if you don't know the person selling it or that there isn't any instruction book if it is a pressure canner. Pressure seals and gaskets must be in good condition for the canner to be used effectively and safely. I have picked them up from garage sales, peoples rubbish for collection day and bought them new. I have 5 pressure canners and use them all. Especially when I am doing meat or greenbeans.

"hot/cold packing" is the easiest method, but you are limited to acidic fruits and vegetables. You can't do greenbean, corn, meat etc. with this method.

Find a mentor who will help you or show you the ropes.

It isn't hard, really. More, I think, is the idea of it is intimidating.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. waretrop

I agree with carolyn, plus a big INTIMIDATING. The first time I canned my heart was pounding. The first time I pressure canned I was laying on the floor having a heart attack from fear.

I had no one to teach me. Without the internet, I read ball and other books and visited my extension service in my county and learned, learned, learned.

It is one of the most rewarding things I have done. BTW, gardening, my daughter are in that list also. :D :D

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Whew! I thought I canned a lot when the kids were growing up. I counted them once and had canned over 800 quarts but with 2 large freezers (one for meat, the other for fruit, corn and carrots) I only canned a few jars of chicken and venison to use when I was too tired to cook. I still can but just for the 2 of us I use mainly pint jars now.

11. waretrop

We are only 2 people in the house now.

I can for many reasons. When I find something on sale I will buy large amounts to save money. I also like that there are little chemicals in what I can. I also like the security of it. I probably could and do avoid going to stores for a year or more.

I do make sure I rotate stock and use things within 3 years.

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

When I saw the title of this thread, I read on eagerly, curious as to what uses there could be for lemon flavored bacon.

Oh. You canned up bacon. And lemon. Separately. Not together.

Well then. As you were. Let me just slide over here and have a few more hits of coffee, and maybe clear the fuzz out of my brain a bit more. :smt095

13. waretrop

:D :D Ronni, You are so funny. That's what happens to me when I don't get enough sleep or am too tired.

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I did canning years ago when a friend's brother gave me loads and loads of fruit from his trees.
    It really wasn't hard. I bought the Ball book and went shopping for the pots, holders, etc. To me the most time consuming (and important) step was the sterilization process. After that, it was a breeze.

carolyn and waretrop like this.