Canning lids & rings warning.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by AAnightowl, Feb 2, 2023.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Last year I bought what I thought was Ball canning lids and rings. They do not fit any of my canning jars because the threads do not match. They are silver and there is no writing on them. I called customer service at Ball a little bit ago, and they have NOT changed the threads on Ball or Kerr canning lids and rings. Apparently, I got hold of some counterfiets. I am looking online for real Ball lids and rings. All Ball products and other good brands have their name on the lids. The lady said they were all caught up again, and there should not be any problems getting canning supplies.

Just thought I would give a heads up just in case. I see a lot of canning rings and lids with no writing on them, so no sale on those.

Logan, Daniel W, Melody Mc. and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

AAnightowl, I get my lids and rings from the local grocery, or Walmart. I've never had a problem with them. Look at local shops for lids and rings and you will have better luck, I'm sure.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Last year local places had few if any canning rings and lids. Also, I no longer drive due to disability. Otherwise, I would have gotten them locally. I will be looking as soon as I can get a ride to town.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Logan likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've heard a lot of canning lid horror stories!
    I like to keep a good stock of canning lids, so thankfully I wasn't affected by the shortage. But I find that I keep a bigger stock of canning lids since the shortage, and a bigger stock of a lot of things in general.

7. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Does anybody know about the vacuum seal lids for mason jars? I stepped up and got a foodsaver and it has this little tube that people use for the purpose. Mostly I was thinking to bag meat and such for the deep freeze but the cannister vacuum idea seems workable with as many jars as we have in the shed.

Logan, AAnightowl and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've seen those vaccum sealers. They sound like a great idea for freezer foods, but I wouldn't trust them for canned food. There is a real science for canning meats, low acid foods and sauces, and I wouldn't dare stray from approved methods. I don't want to be responsible for making anyone sick (or worse!)

Logan and Dirtmechanic like this.
  9. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I was thinking more like opened crackers or things that stale quickly. Dry goods but I like a clear container to see what is there. I will probably end up with different sizes but mason jars are so ubiquitous around here I could see using them. My favorite oil dispenser is a mason jar with a pump lid. 5ml per squirt, 3 is a tablespoon.

Logan and Netty like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I found containers when we bought ours. There are clear canisters with a sealed lid and an attachment for the hose to vaccuum seal. A lid for a mason jar is a clever idea. I use mine for crackers and I've also used them for chips and popcorn.

Logan likes this.
  11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I was looking at these bulk and no name rings and seals last spring, but changed my mind when we had an unscheduled trip to the city. Thanks for sharing this warning. I appreciate it.

Logan, AAnightowl and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have loads of canning jars, and do not need jars. I need rings, and some caps.

When I looked on Amazon last year, the canning rings and lids shipped from China and might take 6 months to arrive, so I skipped Amazon.

Some things like spaghetti sauces come in lovely Atlas canning jars, and those caps are reusable and reseal when canning. I use them a lot.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.