Car oil killed everything- I need ideas for on lookers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Gizmo, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Before we built on a vacant lot. :scheming: people that live next door put things on it like a Stove, Dryer, Car motor, car oil and that's just to name a few things.
    :( car oil has killed everything put there. I've dug up a lot of dirt (deep down). :-x cant get anything to grow next to the fence. On the other side they have grass growing. I need ideas for on looker's. Next door uses binoculars :eek: that they leave on the coffee table. They like to tell me everything going on around here. I'v even stop swimming in the day. Sitting on my porch most of the day (in the corner). There's no crime in not wanting people to see me in my yard (I don't think). Please any ideas. If it cost alot I'll go slower. I don't care.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. sgmgarden
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. wendyjames2
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Wow, sounds like you need help with that.
    Can you post a pic so we can see what the situation looks like then maybe we can be of more help.

Someone on another forum went to a Habitat for Humanity store and bought some metal shutters for $15 each and made a nice privacy fence with them. I think it was around a sitting area, or maybe a pool, I'm not sure, I forget easily unless it is something I might want to try.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I do not like nosey neighbors .I am afraid to bend over around here .I fill eyes on me .I think its in my head but I don't know.If I saw binoculars I would have to say my
    thoughts.Get some kind of screen .I wouldn't allow them to rob you of your enjoyment.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Why do they need binoculars if they are next door :x Honestly some people :rolleyes: I feel for you in this situation, nosey neighbours are not at all pleasant. What about installing a big mirror to point back at them? Joking aside, I'm fresh out of ideas for non-organic blocking features, I hope someone comes up with something :)

Advertisement
  6. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Can I fix the soil some how. I want plants over there. Maybe build something with wood then put potted plants all over there. I'll take pic's tomorrow.

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

If you put raised beds, but that's not a cheap fix, bc of the soil to fill them. Then if you put deep rooted plants they would still get to the oil. Some people are so dumb to do that to the environment. I guess they figured if it wasn't their land it wasn't going to hurt them.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Be very afraid, you may be a superfund site and will not be able to use that soil at all. As for the nosey neighbors, purchase a cheap laser pointer and when you see them spying, point them out.

9. Shanna

Shanna In Flower

I can not stand a nosey neighbor either.I would have to put up a privacy fence.Or do like the other suggested and buy a laser and everytime you see them spying :eek: shine it right in their eye.You could start spying on them like they do you.I bet if you show them how it feels they will leave ya alone.

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I love the idea of a mirror, heh. If it were me I would be looking into some sort of privacy-creating structure along that side, as the soil is bad anyway... if they are looking at the back of a shallow deck/boardwalk with a wall going up between them and you, that would work. Then you could put potted plants on the deck and train something over a lattice on the top for a light summer-house feel.

11. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Thank you all for the good ideas :-D . The area with oil in soil is 3 foot by 10 foot :( . The oil runs deep and not on top so I'll try grass :rolleyes: . Put 3 baby kumquat trees on that side of the house today :-D . Put 2 oak trees in today too. All 5 trees were free :p . Some of our friends gave them to me with a red flower as well. What a great day I had just very hot :setf_050: . When they start to grow more I'll be even happer.

12. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Hey Gizmo, I noticed you are in Fl.

If you go to Walmart, in thier garden center, outside, they have compost/mature mix and top soil for $1.02. They are large bags...covers one cubic ft. The name if it is Gardenesa. The top soil is in a white bag, red lettering and the flower on the front is red. The compost/manture mix is orange lettering and the flower is orange.

This is what I use all the time for my potted plants and throughout my yard. Last week I went and bought 20 bags for under $23!!

Its very cheap and works GREAT!

I would suggest a raised bed and using this brand of top soil and/or compost mix, as to not break the bank.

13. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Thanks Pinkiered I'll try that in my oil area before I lay the grass.