Caring for your roses.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by MIKE ALLEN, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Mike, I looked up your new roses on the internet. They certainly look beautiful. Wikipedia states Ena Harkness is disease resistant AND fragrant. That's a big plus for me. The rose, "Whiter Shade of Pale" is truly beautiful. "One in a million" looks similar to my "Red Masterpiece". Very nice. You will have a stunning rose garden.

MIKE ALLEN and Logan like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

We've bought roses from Cant's roses of Colchester, they're very good roses with lots of roots with 2 or 3 or more long stems.
    This guy says shouldn't prune them back for a year or more until established

3. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

My comments on the video. Practical observation and common sense. A man after my own heart. I love books and I have a well stocked library. Despite all my professional learning and teaching, I respect the opinions and practices of others, but I don't always stick to the written word. As the video indicated. Observe and act accordingly.

Recently I have received roses that have been cut/pruned/chopped right down. In my book, this is wrong. I imagine that in the commercial world, the practice is. Grow as many as possible. Come lifting time. Lift practically the whole crop in one go, never mind too much about care. Perhaps believing that customers will claim for failures.. very few ever do. Covid may have much to answer for including, lack of sales, hence price hikes. Hic-cups with staff forcing casual staff to step in. Perhaps this is identified by brutish cutting back etc. Who knows.

Logan likes this.