Carnivorous Pitcher Plants

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by waretrop, Aug 20, 2022.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh my...I have had many carnivorous plants in my greenhouse for years. I have propagated some along time ago. I forgot how I did it. My babies are growing wonderfully. I have a few that are getting so long I just have to do something soon..Like Sunday... I am talking many feet...any suggestions on the best way to do it...?
    carnivorus1.jpg

carnivorus2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Droopy and Lillium_Lover like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow! Could you cut them back& then root the cuttings? I have absolutely no idea, I must confess. I've never grown pitcher plants.

waretrop and Sjoerd like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

No clue but let us know what you find out !

Cayuga Morning and waretrop like this.
  5. waretrop

So I searched it and learned to do cuttings just like I do all clippings...easy peasy...so I looked at my long carnivorous vines that I had held up with ties. and negotiated exactly what I was going to do. I chose 2 plants. 1 being a very very vine. So I clipped stem sections with 3 leaves. I got so many doing it this way. I also labeled them pitcher 1 and pitcher 2 so I could watch how each plant propagated.. After clipping with clippers drenched with alcohol, I dipped each clipping in rooting hormone...and them planted them in a mixture of sphagnum and good potting soil. Then I watered them gently. Tomorrow I will mist them in the morning and water in the afternoon. If I were not here all the time I would put them in a zip lock bag to keep it moist. Here are some of the step by step photos of how it looked... Now it is the waiting game.. watching for new growth on the ends of each clipping...

1b.jpg
    stock #!

1c.jpg
    stock #1

1d.jpg
    stock #1

1e.jpg
    planted clippings of #!

2a.jpg
    stock #2

2b.jpg
    clippings #2

2c.jpg
    Planted cuttings of plant 2

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm following this topic with great interest Barb as I have a pitcher plant that I almost killed trying to propagate it. :smt053 I didn't realise they were so easy to cope with.

waretrop and Sjoerd like this.
  7. waretrop

It's 24 hours I have misted them with my special hose sprayer. I say that because I have not found another one like it. It really is a fine fine mist. I like to do all my air plants, Spanish moss, orchids. Both the stock plants and new planted clippings are looking as crisp as can be. Normally I would put the new clippings in a zip lock baggie and open it once in a while.. As long as I can keep doing my spraying at the beginning and at the end of the day, I will not put them in a baggie. probably going to trim some others soon. I also have many sundews that need to be up potted..I have lots of little babies...I also will be cutting my Spanish moss and starting new baskets.

eileen likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I didn`t even know they got that big !

waretrop likes this.