Caterpillar on Passion Vine - Didnt know where to put this

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by Pinkiered, May 24, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

When I was watering the gardens today, I watered my Passion Vine and saw this huge fat catapiller hightailing its way under the leaves of my vine. It was fat, white and wooly. Very hairy. I ran inside to get the camera to snap a pic to find out what he was but he was gone.

I just would like to know what is chewing on my beloved passion vine. Is it worth the lost of my wonderful leaves? We all know how I dont care for the "all you can eat buffet" critters but I saw a all black with some bright blue on it butterfly on my passion vine last week. So if its this little guy, he can stay. But if its a ugly brown moth, I have to kick him to the curb. :rolleyes:

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Catapillar

Pinkiered sounds scarey looking but I have know idea what it is .If you see it again have a glass jar ready with a metal lid with holes in it,catch it and put some grass and passion flower leaves in and a small limb see if it eats on the grass or passion flower leaves. Oh yeah put water on some of the leaves keep it in the jar , It will make a caccoon and it may take a long time to make , but then you can see what kind of butterfly it makes.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Its a Yellow Woollybear. :rolleyes: Remember the topic I started about my first passion fruit? Well, its gone as are the other little fruits that were growing! :scheming: :scheming: I cant find him now but I will!!! Ill have to go at night! No worries that Ill kill him, I wont. Ill just move him out of my yard!!!! From what I read, he will eat just about anything. :scheming:

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh dear and I was hoping he was something rare that was going to turn into a beautiful butterfly too!!!! :'( Hope you catch him and that more passion fruits grow for you.

7. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen