Cauliflower salad

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Jun 8, 2023.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Husband came home from grocery with a large head of cauliflower. It was on sale! I roasted some, froze some, and still had cauliflower. Lacking inventiveness, I decided to make a salad rather than bronze it and make a sculpture.
    Here it is:
    Salad.jpg
    In case anyone is blessed with an abundance of cauliflower, here is my home-made, made-up recipe.
    I cut the cauliflower into bite size pieces, added shaved white onion, halved pitted Kalamata olives, and slices of red bell pepper. A dressing of white wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper marinated the salad for a few hours in the refrigerator. Just before serving I added snipped fresh parsley (more because I have a lot of parsley than because it was needed). Next time I'll make a bigger salad since "leftover" is just as good after a day or two.

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That looks good marlingardener.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Very nice cool salad.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Who’s the clever cloggs then.
    I like the salad bowl very much.

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, that bowl is from a pottery in upstate New York. We visited that pottery often, just to see what new glazes and patterns they offered. We always went away with something (or some things!). I am a sucker for pottery, Talavera, local pottery, and antique pottery. My husband swore that Albany Slip pottery (an antique pottery) prices rose the closer it got to our town! This is an antique field jug. It was mostly closed to keep insects out and the cool water cool. field jug.jpg This pottery was the workhorse of the kitchen, used for mixing, storage, and serving. Much of it didn't survive, but those that did are marvelous. Because they were made on a potter's wheel and not molded, and dipped in the glaze before firing, the fingerprints of the potter show where he held it and dipped.
    And now you know more about pottery than you ever wanted, and also know I dearly love pottery!

Attached Files:

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Pottery holds a special place in our collections for kitchens or other uses. Many pottery pieces I have found at fairs or small seasonal shops have special editions for various uses. They seem to always be special treasures because they hold their appeal for a lifetime. A happy memory to be revisited every time we use them.

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

An interesting bit of info, Marlin. I once had some family living in upstate NY. I like some pottery as well, and even took a little course. I made few little things, a couple of which I still have. They are not beautiful but one of them gets used all the time for houseplants.

I like the look of that brown jug. My grandparents had some brown things similar to that that they used as doorstops! What!?

What more common but far more expensive is the Keulse Pots. Some folks even use these for doorstops. We use other things for doorstops.

Pacnorwest likes this.