Changing Yard

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The woodland garden previously.

C044936F-C415-4D24-80F0-AF981792B911.jpeg

7F0D6AAF-CF6C-4CF8-9519-615C16E5EF02.jpeg

To open space

D649C177-9724-42A0-AF8C-EC1CE6B3F3B9.jpeg

468C6E91-4B7B-4B4A-A0A4-BF625D78DAFA.jpeg

For a multitude of reasons the yard has had some huge changes and will continue to change as we finish the process of moving plants and soil, adding new soft fruits, pulling up old plants, redoing beds and planting grass. This section of ivy hedge was removed with a small nursery worth of perennials including phlox, hostas, bulbs and a ton of other plants. I am waiting to plant grass in the majority of the space because I wasn’t sure all of the trilliums were moved and exactly how I would do the paths or space around the beds.

more to come....

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kay
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jewell I find your posting exceedingly interesting and shall be awaiting with great interest your update.
    Congrats on this big project.

Jewell likes this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Plant Relocation to New Homes

My plants and I are very attached to each other so I had to find homes for those that didn’t fit into other parts of the yard. I posted on Craigslist for free plants and set up stringent rules for the lucky twenty that came at their appointed time with bags, social distancing and wearing masks. My sweetie checked people in and I put collections together. What is pictured is only the first major dig, since I continued the pull throughout the day. Here’s some of the babies ready to find new homes.

1E1558C2-6FBC-44FB-BC16-36A6947384F9.jpeg

12989D76-AD90-4933-935A-01C32D0FC72F.jpeg

E993959D-3604-4F0C-B156-39FC1B721CED.jpeg

Everyone was gracious, some bringing unusual plants to share or jam or jelly. One person tried to come early with excuses but I was firm on appointed times only (I scheduled one person every 30 minutes). She somehow managed to redo her schedule and make her appointment ;) (Good thing she confirmed her appointment before I filled it with someone else. One person who said she was leaving town and tried to reschedule unfortunately lost her opportunity for free plants) For me and my husband this was overall a very satisfying experience. I was surprised at much people in general really appreciated and needed some generosity in their lives. These are unprecedented times and even the most secure and confident of us feel the stress of daily living whether we acknowledge it or not. Finding little ways of “paying it forward” have become an unconscious mantra for me.

Attached Files:

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jewell, what’s not to like about this posting. One of the aspects of gardening is giving. In this case, you are giving plants. Many folks would have just thrown those plants away and have been done with it. This sort of plant recycling is such a good idea on different levels. It is not wasteful, it makes others happy and of course it gives you a good feeling that your babies that you have nurtured for several years will have a chance to continue their lives albeit in a new location.

I also found it important that you took proper precautions for others with appointments, masks and so forth. Chapeau.

Well, I can imagine that you will be able to get rid of all your plants easily...then you can move on to your landscaping project. I shall be very interested in your plans, execution and end result.
    What a true all- round gardener you are.

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wow ! This project looked like a full time job ! Your yard was beautiful before,, can`t imagine how you are going to change it,,, but I am waiting to see it !

Cayuga Morning and Jewell like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes Jewell i am very curious too! And i am glad you found homes for sale your babies. So good.

BTW, I know a woman who hosts a spring plant swap every year. Not this year of course. But doesn't that sound like a good idea? I live far enough away from her that I was going to try it this past spring. But of course covid intervened. Maybe some other time.

Jewell likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You know Cayu, we have those plant swaps on our lottie complex in the spring. There is one guy who sells, but the others swap or give away their little plantlets. Does your muni garden club do this?

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes, or sort of. Our garden club holds an annual sale to raise money. I donate divisions of my perennials.

The members in our community garden just informally trade seedlings, seeds, manure, row covers, stakes, conversation, and what-have-you. I imagine that's the same in any community garden. It is as much a community as a garden.

Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is all so well put, Cayu. “It is as much a community as a garden”. Such true words.

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.