Chilli plant flowering profusely, but no fruiting :(

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by swmitra, Jun 22, 2012.

1. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

Hi there

I recently transplanted a chilli plant onto a larger pot, and it grew vigorously and started putting out many many flowers, but none of them have fruited :(

I tried rubbing the flowers with my finger to aid pollination, but nada still... i am planning to let go of it if it doesn't show any fruiting in a couple of weeks :(

Meanwhile other two chilli plants that grew around the same time are still in their tiny pots, and they are fruiting fine... :(

What am i missing?

Swapna
    (India)

2. Loading...

3. oubee

oubee In Flower

Hi Swapna (let me translate it for those who don't understand Hindi here, it means dream!. I don't know what could the problem lie but just dropping by to say HI! Be patient while other friends log on, am sure they'll troubleshoot whatever is amiss :)

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

What variety are the chilis ? Is the one that is not producing a different variety than the others ?

5. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

Hi, not sure about the exact variety per se... i do know it is a hybrid one...have attached a photo from the other potted plant that's doing fine...

And the other potted plants are the same variety as this one...

[​IMG]
    Chilli ( photo / image / picture from swmitra's Garden )

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sometimes peppers are just perverse! Take a small artist's brush (or a cotton swab on a stick) and dabble a bit of pollen from one flower to another. That may get the pollination thing going, and you'll get more hot peppers.

7. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

Hey Marlingardener,

Yeh, am trying that (although with my little finger)... but all flowers grow strong and then they fall off :(

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello,

You may need to very,very lightly mist your blooms with the finest mist setting possible...AFTER shaking the flowers. You could also use a cotton swab to apply the pollen.
    Actually, I would remove a flower from one plant and pollinate flowers from a different plant with it. Then do vice-versa.

If this doesn't work, set them outside in the early morning for a couple of hours, shake the branches and flowers gently (to dislodge the pollen into the air), mist the blooms and then take them back inside (if tyou keep them inside).

Just a few words extra, Swmitra:
    You could have a condition called, "blossom drop", and it may not be a case of flowers not being pollinated.

The most common cause is temperature extremes.
    If daytime temps are above 90°F and there is a dry, wind condition, the pollen will not be useable--the quality and nature of it will change. Also, if the night time temps are above 75°F--this is not ideal. If the blossoms are not fertilized, the flower will simply fall off.

Addendum: The blossom drop could also be caused if the soil in which they are planted has too much nitrogen in it.

What to do in the case of blossom drop:
    1) Keep soil moist (but not soaking wet)

2) Create some kind of shelter to block the dry wind

3) follow the steps that I outlined above (hand pollination)

4) Next time that you plant your peppers try and organize it to be in tune with the weather so that the blossoms will set prior to the onset of high temps.
    As I recall it, you ought to be approaching a period when the temps there are quite high...at least in the flats in and around Delhi. Of course I have no idea where you live, and your growing conditions are not the same as mine.

Be that as it may, I wish you good success there. Please keep us posted with your pepper progress.

9. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

Aha, blossom drop eh? Maybe the soil got mixed with excessive compost while transplanting?

Thanks, will read up a little more on this...in the meanwhile, will follow your suggestions...

Thanks!
    (PS: I am in Bangalore - the weather is on the cooler side here...)

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ah, I see. That is good luck to be there then (weather-wise). I was in Delhi once in the beginning of july and I found the heat withering. hahaha. I was actually glad to see the rains fall in the afternoon.
    It did not take me long to grab a bus to Himachel Pradesh. ;-)

Hang in there, and hopefully you will find more internet info to help you resolve your problem.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Your peppers look similar to my cayenne peppers. That could be the variety. They like a sandy soil with not too much compost and warm to hot temps as long as you can keep them watered. I have had a few that do the same as yours and lose a few blossoms in the beginning but as the temperature warms they start fruiting. One thing they need is a lot of direct sunshine. At least 4 to 6 hours daily. If you can put them outside, close enough together that they touch and shake them together it will help with the pollination. They are supposed to be self pollinating but in stagnant air (not moving air) they need help. Currently I am picking 10 to 20 peppers from each of my plants. And its in the mid 90`s here in Texas. They will produce all summer so don`t give up on them. Sometimes they just take a while to get started.