Christmas Meal With The Family

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, It was a big deal this year as folks came from near and far to visit and have Xmas supper together. There were brothers, sisters, in-laws, children and pubers on hand for this thrilling spectacle. When we all get-together for a special dinner then this manner of eating is called Gourmetten. We don't do this all the time, nor do the families here. It is a 'once-in a while. Gourmetten is used here as a verb: e.g. ‘With xmas we are going to gourmetten’.

But what exactly is this gourmetten? Well, everyone gets their own mini frying pans on their own burners to cook whatever they wish. You can see on the foto some of the choices:
    zzzba.jpg

There were meats and fish (hamburger, chicken, sausages, salmon, beef, bacon, spiced pork bits, etc.). Cheeses, sauces like peanut sauce, ketjap and others and seasoning's, chopped up mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, boiled potato and so forth.
    On a separate table-- all kinds of salads and dressings,
    One of the Bride's favs is pork or chook with peanut sauce.

Here is a foto taken about half-way through the evening:
    zzzb.jpg

Faces have been cropped-off to protect their innocence, or lack of it. It is a decadent way to eat...but the most decadent phase is yet to come--the desert.

When we do this it is an event that stretches over several hours and there is lots of loud talking and laughing as folks chat and yell for something at the opposite end of the table to be passed to them. There is always lots of laughing and it is interesting to see what folks think-up to make.

The evening just rolls on until everyone is almost full...well, they ARE full actually, but there is desert and desert must be eaten. The Bride and I were responsible for supplying it. We decided upon two types of ice cream--Creamy vanilla and Stracciatella. Moist chocolate brownies with a smattering of nuts, cherries in a thick sauce and whipped cream. Yeah that is all very delish, but the thing that made it for me was the Bride's superb chocolate sauce which she made from scratch. It had very dark chocolate, cream and a bit of sugar. It was then warmed ever so gently until it was fluid, albeit thick. It was a stirring contest--we had to constantly stir it.
    The brownies:
    zzzbab.jpg
    It was fluid at home, but we had to transport it to the venue and there it must be re-heated. Oh yes, and the Bride just reminded me that she put in a mini-nob of butter to make the sauce shiny.

Of course, A person can construct their own desert the way that they see fit; however, the way that I did it was to first place the brownies on the plate, then came the ice cream (a generous scoop of each type), then a lashing of warmed cherries and sauce (that were heated in the cleaned cooking pans). Next some of the Bride's pan-warmed chocolate sauce was poured over the collection and finally a dollop of whipped cream over the entire , decadent construction. Sorry that I do not have a foto--there was no time, you see.

Well after we were completely finished we all joined-in to clear the table and wash all of the plates, pans and utensils. Once washed, dried and put away, we settled down for the coffee and tea and then it was time to melt away home...full, as a tick and twice as sassy.

Jewell, Frank, Jerry Sullivan and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...