Clematis question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by AAnightowl, May 3, 2021.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I bought a dormant clematis vine the beginning of April and planted it on the 5th. It is a H.F. Young variety, and has lovely lavender blooms if it is alive.

We had a few late frosts after I planted it. Everything else in my yard is recovering nicely. However, there has not been the slightest sign of growth. I can get my money back if it is dead, but wondered how long should I wait for it to sprout? It is supposed to be planted between March and June 1st in my area. I am in zone 6b in Missouri.

I have planted clematis vines before and those never grew either, even though they are quite popular in this area.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

They like a higher pH, and some drainage, which means clay can drown and suffocate them. Here in acid clay some folks use marble gravel at the bottom of a pretty deep hole filled with amended soil to ensure drainage and moderated pH. Then its just the sun and something to climb.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Owl, I would suggest that you you give it until mid June before giving up on it.
    The Clems here are just now beginning to show tiny bud swellings. My fingers are crossed for you that you have planted the thing correctly. We can speak about this again in June if your plant has failed. Personally, I find it a shame that you did not plant it in march or october...but those are ideal times. The Clems do not have to be planted then, but they do tend to fare better when they are (at least here).

Please keep us informed.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I like Sjoerd's advice. All of my clematises are up& running. Even the one I just planted a couple weeks back.
    Will the company replace it if you get no new growth by June?

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Arent they semi tropical ? If so give them a while longer ! Mid June sounds about right ! Bare root also take longer !

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

mart, they grow in my New England garden without winter protection.

Aanightowl, I just re read this post. I'm glad you can get your money back, just in case.

AAnightowl and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You know Nightowl— with bare root plants that one buys, the roots ought to be soaked 2-4 hours before planting to rehydrate them. Did you do that? The plant may make it even if you did not, but you increase the chance of success if you play according to Hoyle.

9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I did not soak it, but it was in damp soil in the package. It IS in soaking wet good potting soil and compost now. It should have the higher PH with the leafy compost in there. The package says to plant between March and June here in this part of the world, in zone 6b of southern Missouri. I did not have the plant in October... The store did not have them in October either. I followed package directions for planting it. We have had ample rain since I planted it. I did give it some Miracle Grow this week also.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, AA— it ought to go oké then. I mean what more can you do if you follow the package instructions.

I have quite a few Clems in my garden and usually they do alright, but I have had some failures. I have found that they most often do well, but have a little weakness that some of them seem to be sensitive to.

Sometimes Clems can get off to a slow start after planting, so don’t give up on your beauty yet.

AAnightowl and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just give it time ! A lot of plants are late this year !

Sjoerd likes this.