Cloned dragon fruit from Disney

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by PersianNerd, May 9, 2014.

1. PersianNerd

PersianNerd New Seed

I have no idea but the package at Disney said dragon fruit. i have no idea he's not looking so good either.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I wish I could help, but I know nothing about dragon fruit.

3. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

oh i have always wanted to try dragonfruit eating and growing, sadly I can't due to my territory :( but I do wish you the best of luck.

4. PersianNerd

PersianNerd New Seed

I may not be able to as well. he's not doing well

Advertisement
  5. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

from your area you should be able to grow it. They are able to be grown in 9a and 9b which is the majority of florida. I guess it is also really hard to germinate as well from what I was reading

6. PersianNerd

PersianNerd New Seed

it was doing well then just one day it drooped over

7. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

perhaps too much sun? I read that in really warm areas shaded areas are good as well. so perhaps have it in a spot where it's in light in the morning or mid afternoon and shaded the rest of the day?

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    First I am going to qualify that I have never grown dragon fruit, but have enjoyed eating it. Like a more mellow kiwi. I didn't realize the plant looks like some succulents I have grown. Very interesting the way they are staked and trained. Looks a lot like we might do grapes.

Since yours has sprouted and rooted and you took it out in the sun and repotted it will need to be put in a bright light area and let the soil dry throughly before watering. No direct sun.

Roots easily rot on succulents if disturbed and there is any moisture. If you think rot has started take it out of the pot and let it dry out completely and then repot in a very small container. No water for a day or so and dry mix.

Don't be afraid to let it be a little ignored in a warm, dry, shady spot outside (or warm, bright light area inside...no direct light blasting it) until it has stabilized. Once the soil is dry then you can start a water let totally dry routine. If it looks like it has any soft mushy parts don't water until they scab over. I would keep it out of direct sun until it got to be pretty good sized and then slowly inch it out into the sunnier areas in the morning light only so it doesn't burn.

This is all a guess based on growing cactus and succulents in a much different region. Maybe it might help...or not. Good luck.

Shawchert likes this.