Closet space ideas

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by GreenThumbChum, Feb 5, 2010.

1. GreenThumbChum

GreenThumbChum New Seed

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to this website, and hope to get some ideas about my new house I just purchased. As you can see from the photos, I have this space just inside the walkway filled with pipes and the natural gas box. Its very unpleasing to the eye, but I'd ultimately like to make good use of this space. It would be idea for hanging coats and clothes, I'm just not sure how to cover up all the unappealing stuff. I'll welcome any and all ideas. I want this aesthetically pleasing, as well as practical too. There is currently a green curtain being used to cover it up. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from GreenThumbChum's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from GreenThumbChum's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hello from Nebraska! Congrats on your new home. Its always fun getting a new space fixed up to your needs and tastes. Your pipes etc, have to be accessible, but you could put a hinged door on the opening, a louvered one would be nice. :idea:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Possibly you could get some louvered doors to hide the closet, but putting anything else in there with that equipment probably isn't a good idea.

Too much activity, getting coats in and out of that space, could be dangerous. If someone or something accidentally knocked a pipe loose or opened a valve you could have all sorts of problems.

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I agree Toni, it shouldn't be used as a closet!
    A door would be nice to cover it though.

Advertisement
  6. HeatherM

HeatherM New Seed

If you want to make use of the space, then take advantage of the exterior. Disturbing those pipes could be costly in the end. By hanging a mirror on the wall (in the walkway) and adding a door with a small hook on the outside to hang a coat, it's serving a new purpose.

7. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

That looks like a water heater in the space, with a vent out of the top. That room needs air for combustion, don't seal the room too tight; a louvered door with real louvers would work. Don't put other things in there as there is fire in the heater. I'd also put the fire extinguisher outside the room, if there were ever a fire in there, you won't be able to get to the extinguisher.
    Tom

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great advice Tom. Could I just add that if you are going to put in a louvered door then please don't cover it with material or any kind of hanging furniture as this would add to the fire risk.

9. fencesllove

fencesllove Seedling

Well disturbing those pipes could be costly in the end.