Clusters of tiny blue flowers- I found the name!!!!

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Sep 5, 2012.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I too have a blue flower that needs a name. I thought I might call in Harry since from a distance the cluster of blooms to look a little hairy.
    About 2 years ago this was coming up in an inappropriate place, just a tiny sprout that hadn't bloomed. Since I wasn't sure what it was I moved it to the nursery bed I have in the backyard where I unknown plants and extra plants that need a new home but that home isn't ready yet.

Last year wasn't a good one for me so no yard work was done for almost 5 months and if this bloomed I never saw it. But last spring I remembered it was out there and moved it to a better spot and now it is blooming and I have no idea what it is. Many years ago I planted a lot of mixed packages of wildflowers in different areas and I am thinking it is one of those.

I know the close up of the flowers make it look huge but in reality the clusters are less than an inch long and about 1/2 inch wide....
    [​IMG]
    Unknown ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Blue flowers of unknown ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have no idea what it is Toni but I do so love blue flowers and those are very attractive. :stew1:

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have never seen it grow around here it has to be a sunny southern flower like Blue Dogbane(Blue Star of Texas) or something. :)

Jerry

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's been in my way back garden for a few years...forgotten, being smothered by assorted growing things that I have ignored while getting the front gardens created and tended. Last fall I wondered about how it had fared through the drought and heat and what I saw of it was pretty much toasted.

It is Caryopteris X clandonensis (Caryopteris)

Now I need to upload the photos to that page.

Edited to add....there is one of the momma plants struggling out there that I will be moving tomorrow and I found another of the babies in the 'nursery bed' ;)

Frank likes this.
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Its A really pretty plant