Combating The Varroa Mite

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sjoerd, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

One of the methods of doing this is to use a small frame in the honey super.
    The bees lay worker brood in the frame and underneath, they build their own comb and make larger cells. Drones will be raised in these.
    Here you can see how this works--worker brood on the top, drone brood on the bottom:
    darren.jpg

The drone brood is then cut off, frozen and then given to the birds to eat.
    dar.jpg

Look at this final picture to see some varroa mites walking in the cells.
    dar2.jpg

This is one of the tricks we use to keep the varroa populations down in our hives here.

I was trying to explain this to Carolyn earlier, but I could not be clear enough, I fear.
    Foto images ought to help. Perhaps others will find this interesting as well. The varroa mite is a big problem here and can devastate our colonies.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our neighbour is having problems with Varroa mites at the moment too. I must show him your post.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I was wondering if you had a special frame for drone brood that was removable and when you froze then replaced it the bees cleaned it out and eliminated most of the varroa instead of using an insecticide. I was guessing that if you had one available you hadn't used one or bought one. Maybe we are just more gullible to be marketed to in this manner of " we need one of everything in order to be happy and survive" instead of just being ruthless and removing the comb and destroying it. Haven't invested in one nor seen one used. What I would really like is to have a brood box with a latch and hinges I could swing open and remove the frames starting at one side instead of squeezing the frames together to get the first one out.

Sjoerd and Henry Johnson like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

EILEEN-- I hope that he can get a handle on his varroa prob. there are several options. He may well know this technique. It is but one technique that I use to try and control varroa in my colonies.

CAROLYN-- This is just one frame sort that I use for urging the bees to draw drone comb. There is also a special type of frame that has three compartments in which you cut out one partition per hive opening. I am due to look in that New "Renson" hive in a day or two ans will try and remember to take a pic of it for you.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    carolyn and Henry Johnson like this.