Community Garden Doings

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Cayuga Morning, Oct 27, 2020.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

I may take up rain dancing in 2021.

Let me know if it works ? Will try it here in July or August ! Will look for a video ! My dancing skills are from the mid century era !

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Mart maybe we'll tap you for your rain dancing skills! Would you be available to lead us all during our"Best Practices" zoom meeting?

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ha !! Be happy to try it ! But do not bet your last dollar on it !

4. Cayuga Morning

Chuckle!
    So we had our Best Gardening Practices zoom talk. It was a resounding success. We had about 16 members (out of 24), a pretty good turn out. We traded experiences with growing various kinds of veggies, indoor seed sowing, organic fertilizing, organic pest control methods. And we also just had fun. We haven't seen each other since late last dinner/fall so it was good seeing faces even if we were all encased in little squares.

One of our members led the group and he did a great job. (He was the one who first proposed the talk, so I quickly asked him to lead it!) This guy is very much a "paddle his own canoe" kind of guy (he would agree with this description). But he was gracious, patient but still kept us all moving.

We all agreed we wanted to do it again. And the guy who led the group suggested we have another one on recipes using our garden produce! Wonders upon wonders.

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ahhh ! Now thats my style ! Let us know if there are good ones ! I am always up for recipes !

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, it sounds as if you have a great group of interested and interesting folks. I echo Mart--share those recipes!

7. Cayuga Morning

Will do!

marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'm so honored! The local Community Garden is having its organizational meeting next week, and I've been invited as "an honored guest". Their meeting involves allotment of plots; a few rules about cleaning up, using the garden's tools; and LUNCH! I offered to bring something for the lunch, but no, they were providing lunch for everyone involved, prepared by four of the gardening ladies. I am honored, and will probably be skipping dinner that day!

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

That sounds great MG!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds like a lot of fun and indeed a great honour. They know talent when they see it, I reckon. Don’t eat too much.;)

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kevin and I did a 1 hour google meet for the community garden at the library this week. so, we are off to a start this year. hopefully we have a few new gardeners with a little encouragement to come along side of us and learn how or brush up on old skills.

12. Cayuga Morning

Community Garden Update:

We all met at the Garden about a month ago and repaired the fence. 18 of us showed up, an excellent turnout. PXL_20210418_192052463_compress55.jpg
    (BTW, that photo is not the whole of the Community Garden! That's just one person's plot)
    Our fence is a double fence: hardware cloth on the inside with a string of electric wire on top, and an outer electric fence. It works marvelously well for all critters except turkeys & voles.

We have bears in our town but have never been bothered by them, surprisingly.

One of our newer members is fixing our tool kiosk, enlarging it and making room to store our lawn mower. PXL_20210509_124109097.MP_compress77.jpg

This is the front side, for tool storage. I wish I had a photo of what it was like before. It was listing badly. PXL_20210509_124140853_compress50.jpg

This is where the lawnmower & rototiller will be stored during the season. Keep in mind, our gardener/ builder has not finished it yet. PXL_20210509_124120758_compress46.jpg PXL_20210509_130041530_compress29.jpg

Four bay compost bin system built last year.
    One member has taken on the organizing of it, witness the signs. PXL_20210509_130051351_compress17.jpg PXL_20210509_130057677_compress34.jpg

Finally, a member has donated this temporary greenhouse to harden off our transplants and also to provide a space for transplant swaps PXL_20210509_130105647_compress89.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Growingpains and marlingardener like this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a well-organized, hard working crew you have! All community gardens should use yours as a model. Love the greenhouse--what a generous donation.

14. Cayuga Morning

Aw, thanks MG. Yes, I am really pleased with how the Community Garden is coming along.

I really hope this fall we'll be able to go back to having an end of the season potluck.

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a great season opener !
    The group foto was a good one. I thought the plot looked a good size. I saw lots of flowers in it. It made me wonder if it was yours then.

The tool lean-to is looking good and the roof has that bituminous-like tiles on it. Very smart. That is going to be quite something when it is finished. It is important to keep those motorised machines out of the weather. Will this kiosk have sides as well?

Very nice compost bin set. It looks professional. You know, it may sound silly to put info on the bins, but it is better that the person does, just in case that folks forget and newer members can be informed. Everyone here knows the rules, but still the wrong things get onto the piles especially in this covid time when the compost team are less frequently present to give direction.

Finally, the temporary greenhouse. What a nice gift. Wise members will make good use of that.

Thanks much for this posting, I really liked it. It is very interesting to me to see how you guys do your thing.

Oh, BTW—how is your water project coming along?

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.