Community Garden Doings

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Cayuga Morning, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

How well projects go when everyone works together.
    Great photos. Here is wishing you all an abundant harvest in 2021.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks Sjoerd & Growingpains. The Garden is off to a good start.

Sj, our water project is "dead in the water" right now. We got the estimate back from the irrigation company & it was for $7000 (5,763 Euros). We are all reeling with sticker shock. Plus we don't know if our spring can support a water pump & we don't know how to assess that. The irrigation company just gives reassuring mumbles that it could, which I have no confidence in.

So, our next plan of action is to contact a different irrigation company for another estimate and see if they have a way of assessing water capacity of a spring. I mean, this must be a thing, right?

Meantime, a kind soul has donated a gas pump. Maybe we could hook that up in our spring and test the capacity. We'd have to be able to measure the flow rate or else pump the water into a big container & measure it that way. Keep emptying the container below the spring. A messy job. You can tell I am not an engineer!

So that's where we are. Your question has prompted me to add ferreting out another irrigation company to my 'to do' list.

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Getting a second opinion is not only a good idea but a necessity. It is basic business, Cayu. In fact the more folks you let give you estimates the better it is for you. Further, I would take at least one company outside from your area.

Getting straight answers to your questions is another important thing. There is nothing more frustrating or angering than to hear “ought to”, when you ask a specific question.

I am wondering if you are planning to use an electric pump to give the water, or a hand pump (prime or non-priming). There is one garden on our complex that actually sunk a well. It had a hand pump to get the water up.

I think you have a good and workable idea here, but you have to research it properly before going into the sea with a company. You need more trustable info and prices that are clear, justifiable and acceptable to you. When you get your estimates, I would want to know what the prices are with electrical or fuel pumps and hand pumps.

What do you think?

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

I think you are right Sjoerd. We were shocked by the 7K price tag. The man had given us a rough estimate of 5K initially. His mumbles were not reassuring.

It is essential that we figure out how much capacity our spring has. If not enough, will will have to include the cost of digging a shallow well. Our town has grants that we can apply for... That application is due in the fall, so yes, we need to get cracking.

Our preference is for a solar pump that will turn itself off& on as needed. Maybe a gas pump could do that too? We can't have an electric pump as we have no electricity at the Garden. We are VERY basic here. Our electric fence is powered by a battery.

Thanks for your inputs.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No worries. Good luck with this project. I am interested to hear how this will play out.

Growingpains likes this.
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Cayuga, are rain barrels a possibility? Would that cover your water needs?
    Just a thought.

7. Cayuga Morning

Thanks but we don't get enough rain for that.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Oh that is a shame. We use every barrel we can catch.
    So far this garden season we have used only rain water.
    It sure saves on the water bill.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. albertvadas

albertvadas New Seed

I think fencing is very important for the garden. Garden fences and fences are an integral part of the design of a suburban area. Depending on the type, material and location in the country, they can perform both a decorative and protective or supporting role. The main purpose of external fences is to protect the perimeter of the site from uninvited guests, for example, wild animals. The fence also serves to mark the boundaries of a private territory, protects it from prying eyes.You can find some ideas on the internet. That's how I did it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2021
    Growingpains likes this.
  10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

We use mostly chickenwire fencing. It is rolled and stored after it is cleared of Bindweed, my most hated weed. I'm sure it comes directly from China, or whatever country is directly beneath SE Michigan.