Complete Overhaul.

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Philip Nulty, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I really love the colors you chose Philip! We are thinking about getting more insulation, can I ask what type you used? Is that a church next door? It looks like a lovely neighborhood!

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Netty,..thank you!,..everyone seems to be in agreement with the colours and i am very pleased myself.

The insulation type was a big enough job for the exterior walls as they had to drill and then pump in small insulation pellets while the attic was covered with fireproof slaps of solid insulation between the joists then covered with that cotton wool look alike stuff,..they even drilled into the eaves and pumped the pellets in there but added lots of air vents.

Pump walls insulation cost 250 Euro/$338.50
    Attic insulation cost----- 290 Euro/$326.66

All inspected by Local Authority and passed.

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Your expense for the insulation will pay for itself in no time.
    And I like your mood lighting!

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Netty,..sorry i forgot to answer your question,..yes that is a church next door,..its a Catholic Church,..they still perform the mass in Latin,..they never changed over when Rome changed it to English but after many years Rome recognized the popularity of the Latin Version and allowed its performance.

=====================================================

Hi Cheryl,..i feel the difference already,..the house heats up far quicker and on less fuel,..about the mood lights,..i find the blue colour to be my usual mood light,..not that i am in a blue mood :D i just like the colour.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm so glad both you and the furries will keep warm this winter. Insulation is a good investment in the long run.

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thanks Droopy,..they are all sitting in front of the fire just now,..its cold outside and the severe storm scared them this morning,..highest winds in 60 years some places reached 124 mph,..force 11 in places.

7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I was perspiring from 0730 this morning as i did my house chores,..now there is a nip in the house with the front door being replaced,..from a wood door to a PVC type door which will fit airtight and with double glaze,..new windows arriving on Monday,..its a hoot,..why didn't they arrive in Summer Grrrrrrr.

8. cherylad

Wow... you really are giving your home a makeover. Love that you're getting it weatherized too. Your heating bill will be next to nothing from now on.
    I'd love to be able to replace all of the windows at the house... they are so old and I know I lose alot of heat and/or cold because of them. I need to start playing the lottery! :D

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,..i was up until 0330 this morning then arose at 0730 as the men were arriving at 0900,..well they arrived at 1000 :rolleyes: ,..but i kept my mouth shut,.. thinking it wouldn't take long i was wrong as they worked on three houses at the same time,..they finished at 0500,..seven hours holy cow.

I like the door,..black with fitted brass letterbox airtight inside,..brass number fitted by them,..and a treble mortice lock,..the door closes like an aircraft door :D sealed,..double glazing frosted glass.

To be honest i am not paying for it all as it is by way of an EEC Grant which the local authority covers as well,..it would be a big hole in my pocket otherwise,..oh energy Efficient Bulbs included :rolleyes: .

For the entire house the cost is 4190 Euro/$5673.26,..i may have to pay for the bulbs :oops:

Oh i just popped outside,..seems i was standing to one side,..its not bad workmanship lol.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Droopy and Donna S like this.
  10. cherylad

If you hadn't said it was PVC, I would have swore it was wood. It's very pretty!

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,..if i wasn't told it was a type of PVC i would believe it to be made of wood,..looks like wood,..feels like wood down to the grains and paneling,..i admit to be pleased with it,..now for the windows on Monday,..its going to be pretty cold while they are doing them,.. :rolleyes:

12. cherylad

I know that here we can get tax credits (or at least we could) for replacing things like old doors/windows and outdated appliances. It saves so much money and energy in the long run. Plus... it looks good!!!
    I am not exaggerating when I say that some of the windows on the house are original... from 1957-ish. I'm scared to even open some because I fear they may shatter from trying to force them closed again.
    But anyhow.... Philip... your place is looking in tip top shape!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Looking great Philip. Your going to be toasty warm after the windows.

Philip Nulty likes this.