Composting to support your garden

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by Catdaddy6676, Sep 2, 2018.

1. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Well, I spread that stuff all over the top of the heap and added a bit of water as it's been a long hot summer.
    For the last 3 weeks, I've had a pair of lizards hanging out in the bin, guess they see it as a bug-buffet and
    maybe a place to lay eggs.
    Thanks for all your input.
    Zigs I really liked your video.

Zigs and Logan like this.
  2. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Our neighbour looks after a Bowling Green. He puts the grass cuttings on our heap (with our permission). I then mix it up with all the other garden waste and the heat generated by the grass helps rot down everything else. Grass on its own is more difficult as it very quickly runs out of oxygen. If that happens I just poke big holes in the heap to allow air to get in. Never had the slimy mess which some people complain about with grass. He does not use any chemicals on the Bowling green by the way.

Sjoerd, cuatro-gatos and Logan like this.
  3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I've started putting grass clippings on the garden as a thin layer, helps keep the moisture in.

Pacnorwest and Gail-Steman like this.
  4. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Good idea that :like: our gravel holds moisture but it's no good when temps drop below freezing with gravel.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

It is so upsetting to observe folk wasting grass cuttings (mowings). Grass is the most prolific plant on the planet. It's full of nitrogen. It is beneficial in adding to sandy soils, to clay soils. As a mulch and as a heat source in cold frames.

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

My mower has mulcher blades.. there are no grass cuttings …mulched into grass as I mow. Fertilizing and mowing…
    At the same time. Also great to mow and mulch leaves in fall..I rake the leaves from the flower beds and mow them on the grass.

Logan likes this.