Conocarpus tree!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by S-H, Apr 16, 2016.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

My Conocarpus tree - 16 feet tall already, (in just 18 months after germinating from seed)! :cool:

Conocarpus_tree.jpg

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW that's some growth spurt!! Here willow trees grow very quickly but I don't think they make the same amount of growth in such a short time as your tree.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I didn't know a tree could grow so fast so, of course, I had to Google it. It's going to be a great shade tree from what I read.

5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

It's actually a native tree from the coastal mangroves of Somalia and southern Arabia. Thus it can tolerate very salty soil near the ocean. Grows very fact too, unimaginably fast actually... In the last 10 years, this tree has really taken a liking to Karachi's mercilessly hot and humid weather. What's more is that it's wood is also very hard and works very well as a marine wood!

However it's greatest advantage is that it requires very little water, and just loves this hot weather. Gives a very cool and dense shade also. In fact this tree (because of these reasons) has now become so popular over here - That in the next 5 to 7 years, more of these trees will be growing here, then in their native homeland!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

See this? Yes, it's the same tree, and just look how big it has become in just 4 years!

It's now over 40 feet tall, and has become so huge, that I can't even make it fit in the camera's frame.

IMG_20200504_155935_copy_1080x1920.jpg
    IMG_20200504_160003_copy_1080x1920.jpg

Look at these sane security cameras. This is proof that it's the same tree, same location! Just compare with the first picture 4 years ago.

:D

IMG_20200504_161451.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Jewell and eileen like this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What an amazing tree. Especially right for your locality. Living on the edge of a rainforest I often don’t appreciate trees (Many cloudy, dark rainy days shaded by evergreens make one crave sunlight). The bark and leaves of that tree framed by blue sky is gorgeous.

S-H likes this.
  8. AlexFinn

AlexFinn New Seed

@S-H, it's incredible to see how time has flown by since you first posted about your Conocarpus tree seven years ago. Your dedication to nurturing it has undoubtedly paid off, and I can only imagine how much more it has grown since then.
    In the world of gardening, patience and care often yield the most impressive results. If you're still active in the world of gardening or have more recent updates on your Conocarpus tree, it would be wonderful to hear how it's doing now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2024
    S-H likes this.