Contemporary Kitchen:painting the kitchen?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by robemeen, Mar 2, 2014.

1. robemeen

robemeen New Seed

i am purchasing a home that has the standard oak cabinets with bisque appliances. i have an eat in kitchen where i will place my subltle contemporary 2 tone finish kitchen set in. the structure of the chairs are honey-ash, and the seating and back are a dark merlot.the table top and legs are honey-ash with merlot borders around the table. i've thought about using a sage green or possibly a soft peach. i would like to keep the contemporary stylefor my kitchen. my favorite color is an icy gray blue, but that probably wouldn't work. any suggestions for me to achieve my goal?

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Is there any chance you could post a photograph for us robemeen? It would help us to help you.

Welcome to our forums by the way and I hope you'll stay around and become part of the GardenStew family.

Frank likes this.
  3. ellaloo

ellaloo Seedling

if you do not know which one to choose, suggest you find more home improvement pictures to know which one is better.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Okay, I'll bite. My mental picture prefers the sage green over the pale peach & definitely over an icy gray blue. Maybe a peach would work if it went well with the merlot. I would have to see it. But the sage I think would warm up the scene, which is always good in an eat-in kitchen.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sage will be a more neutral color than the peach. If you really like peach find a few pieces of art to hang on the wall or a few accents of some kind to pull into the room. BUT you are the one who gets to look at it everyday. Pick what YOU like. Paint is also fairly inexpensive to change. Many company's now sell sample sized containers of paint. IF you find a color you like paint one wall or a portion of a wall and live with it for a few days. Then choose what color you want to look at every day. Neutral colors are easier to work around (which I would consider the sage). If you want to change something (like pillows, curtains, wall art) it is easier to do than change the color of the wall.

Going back to the color you like...icy blue gray? why wouldn't that work? did you get a sample of it and tape it or paint it on a wall to see?