CornStalk Plant

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by plant_question, Apr 26, 2007.

1. plant_question

plant_question New Seed

Hello everyone! I have a question about my cornstalk plant. I have had this plant for years, and up until the last little while it has been very neglected. I have started paying a little more attention to my plants lately. Frankly, I can't believe it is still alive...Anyways here's the problem. There are a bunch of leaves towards the top of the stalk which are very healthy looking, however there is probably 2.5 feet of stalk with no leaves at all. Now most pictures I have seen do not have leaves all the way to the bottom of the stalk, but mine looks funny...it is so tall with only leaves towards the top. From what I have heard and read, corn stalk plants have no roots, so my question is, can I cut off part of the bottom portion of the stalk and will the top portion still live? This wil elminate so much of the bare stalk. I think I already know the answer to this is no but I just want to see what every one else thinks. Thanks for your suggestions

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hi there, and welcome to the Stew.

If I'm right, you're talking about Dracaena massangeana,
    which is commonly called "Corn plant" or Cornstalk plant"

They do indeed have roots, and new cuttings usually root pretty easily.

So, if you do decide to cut your plant, you could have 2 plants, if you wanted to. :-D

The existing plant would probably send out multiple new shoots after being cut back,
    notice the tallest "stalk" in the photo above,
    see how it's been cut and there are three shoots growing?
    And you could plant the piece you cut off,
    and with a bit of care, it would grow roots.

There is every likelihood that the shorter stalks in that photo
    were cut from the taller ones.

Oh, and if that isn't the plant you were talking about .....
    ............ :oops: never mind. *LOL*

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there :-D

You can prune stalks back to the desired height from the top of the plant. New growth will sprout below the cut.

You can propagate new plants from pieces of cut stalk. Cut 4-inch sections, each with a leaf node. Lay sections on their sides in a good potting mix. Keep moist and shaded. Roots and new growth will develop. Some gardeners simply insert pruned pieces upright (as it originally grew) into the soil.

Hope this helps!! :-D

5. plant_question

plant_question New Seed

Great ideas!! I will try this, thanks so much!