Could the cost, energy of keeping a lawn be justified?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by GardeninVanGogh, Nov 14, 2007.

1. GardeninVanGogh

GardeninVanGogh New Seed

I can not understand the use of lawns in the majority of contexts in which house developers install it. In the USA, one can see lawns in deserts, drought prone regions, areas that are too wet, etcetera.
    The turf industry spends billions of dollars developing seeds for this, seeds for that, resistant to this and that. You need noisy, polluting tools to maintain it. Have to install irrigation systems, spray for bugs, fertilizer,and so on.

And the result? A patch of green grass to walk on, look or play. It may look nice but what is the cost for you, society in general and the environment?

The installment of lawns should be regulated. Water is getting very scarce to be wasted spraying lawns.
    Those in the business could certainly educate the common folk as to installing turf substitutes that are not only cost efficient, but will eliminate noise,pollution and still have aesthetic value.[/b]

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I never water my lawn. The good Lord takes care of that for me. My mower is battery powered and rechargable. My electricity is from water and is renewable and environmentally friendly. I remove dandelions and weed by hand. I never spray it or fertilize it. In summer I like to sleep on it or walk on it. The children play ball or pitch tents on it. In winter we make snowmen or castles on it.

Nope, I wouldn't get rid of all my lawn and I don't feel I burden the environment by having it either.

3. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

We rarely water ours and haven't done much in the way of sprays, etc. either... just weeding from time to time. I don't know if I would still keep one if I were in a drier climate - when we were in CA we had just decorative rocks and fat palm trees for our 'lawn', so I kept windowboxes of geraniums to add something green to it. It wasn't too bad and we never had to mow of course though I admit I liked having that soft patch back when we relocated back north.

4. GardeninVanGogh

GardeninVanGogh New Seed

I am glad to receive reasonable feedback, in my neck of the woods there is not any common sense at all. Every one needs a water feature now in their garden. However, it seems that people with sensibility towards the environment are a few.

Advertisement
  5. TurningColorz

TurningColorz New Seed

My apologies in advance to disagree, but I can't stand the thought of a having any "governing body" tell me what I can plant in my own yard. If you want a water garden and bluegrass lawn, and you can afford to pay the price, just do it. The planet does not "lose" water. It all soaks back into the water table below, or the sky above, and will come back down as a nourishing rain. All the water on earth has been here from the start, and will still be here when your bluegrass lawn is long since gone.
    The real problem is too many people on the planet, rather than a lack of water.

Maybe they should regulate that instead?
    Just something to think about.
    Really, no need to worry...
    Mike

6. GardeninVanGogh

GardeninVanGogh New Seed

I was thinking of medians as in highways. There is no need to cut grass, polluting air,soil,using herbicides,
    pesticides and fungicides.

Lawns are a waste of time and energy. There are substitutes for those who use their spare time intelligently having a cool one with the family,instead of contaminating the environment and creating noise.

No one is trying to impose anything on anyone. Is a matter of discussion, debate period. Is about time to respect nature and the budget of every city spending money on unnecessary lawns, at least in USA.

7. bradytimes

bradytimes New Seed

If managed properly, our Earth has plenty resources for all. I lived in Colombia for a couple years and it was interesting to see how landscapes evolve around the world. In Colombia, people don't have "yard". Instead, each neighborhood has a small park where the kids play futbol. There was little waste. Though that was good for the environment, I really missed having my personal space.

Now my personal experience about "lawns". In my first house, lawn covered most of the yard. I dreaded Saturdays because it would take at least an hour to mow the whole thing. It cost about $100 a month to keep in green in the hot dry summers of the West. For some reason, my kids still spend most of their time in the dirt. Can anyone explain why? :D

Since then, my wife and I built our dream house. This time, the turn is only in key activity areas. It's been GREAT. And if the kids want to play sport, there's a park just a few houses down. Live is great.

Personally, I think gardens are more interesting than grass. Everyone's different though. A lot of people like having a lot of grass and I don't think the amount of grass should be regulated, except in the driest of areas.

8. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

Don't forget the benefits of grass in your yard. Every yard produces oxygen and binds carbon from the atmosphere. If carbon in the atmosphere is a problem, a luscious green yard can be part of the solution.

9. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Lawns are cool and clean the air and hide the worms , feed

Lawns are good baby sitters, cool our heels , feed our birds,, feed cows in the pasture......And they look lots nicer in front of pretty white house like mine......

I like giving my butt a ride around the yard while I mow and get a sun tan......No we never water grass. But we do water the garden and flowers.....However I dont have city water......I have 3 man made dams and a well which has water gurgling under the pipe.. We stuck a microphone down and listend..

Heard enough?

10. GardeninVanGogh

GardeninVanGogh New Seed

A lack of logical debate is in place. The issue here (that perhaps could be addressed once in a while) is the pollution or air, water, with pesticides,herbicides,fungicides, disturbing the peace with blowers,trimmers and so on.
    No one has questioned the "beauty of lawns" why get stuck in that argument? Lawns are necessary in certain contexts, but not everywhere. The blind infatuation
    with lawns has to stop.
    How can any person justify a golf course in a desert, having to irrigate it , seventeen times a day? That is just one example, multiply it all over the world and stop thinking in your post stamp lawn yard. Imagine!

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Just a quick note to say that this topic has been locked. If you have any questions please PM me.

Toni