Counting ... 1,2,3.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by eileen, Feb 27, 2007.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Round up your camels, alpacas, llamas, dromedaries and yaks: the Swedish Board of Agriculture is conducting a census of curious beasts.

All municipalities in Sweden have been asked to count their even-toed ungulates and yaks following an increase in the number of people importing these animals.

The Board of Agriculture is interested in finding out the quantity of such creatures in the country as well as the nature of their stay here.

Do they, for example, share pastures with animals more common to Sweden, such as sheep and cattle? And, if so, is there any risk of disease?

"We are mainly doing this because we want to avoid diseases likes tuberculosis spreading to other animals, such as cows for instance," spokeswoman Anna Olsson

Sooooooo how many have you manged to count Frank!!! :D :D

2. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sounds interesting. Be sure to post the results when they come out.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I wish I was more near the countryside to check :( On the bright side I've just learned a new word, ungulate! Thanks Eils, we await those results.

I wonder have they taken into account the the ungulates may be flying themselves it? Ryanair do quite cheap flights to Malmö nowadays :D