COVID-19 changing the world forever!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, May 23, 2020.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

There has been a lot of talk about how things will never exactly be going back to normal again.

For example, even if the lockdowns ended today - People who are now enjoying their stay at home, while earning the same amount, (by switching to working online). Aren't likely to be happy when someone will say that it's time we went back to doing things the old way.

Bottom line is that money talks, while BS walks... So by not constantly driving to work, everybody at the end of the month is enjoying a substantial windfall in their finances. Fuel cost too has hit ridiculously low levels. Therefore if human history is taken as proof. Money has always been the deciding factor for every irreversible change.

And generally speaking, levels of stress have decreased also, while comfort has increased. No more fighting traffic or anything else - Just look up at the sky and you see a sapphire blue color, which wasn't seem in decades!

However people, economies, societies, and countries which were driven by consumerism. Are right now on the verge of crying tears of blood - Which I believe to be a good thing. As shameless consumerism was poisoning everything in my opinion.

But regarding permanent change, up until now - Those who were wishing that things now don't change, couldn't say if this would last or not. Or to what degree will things go back to happening the old way?

Similarly, those who wish that things would revert back to how it was around the end of 2019 - Also are uncertain, (as well as fearful)...

Because the truth is that although we all feel that somethings will change forever. We are still having a difficult time putting our finger on it.

However, that mystery ended for me today. When I got this SMS on my phone.

IMG_20200523_141936.jpg
    So I guess in my entire country, schooling will now to carried out on TV. Not 2 way studying over the internet. But in regular television.

This was my childhood dream, but unfortunately has only now come true, (when I'm already too old for school) - Just watch TV all day, and no home work, EVER!

:rofl:

Seeing it from a financial point of view, this saves way too much money for maintaining a schooling system. No need to hire and pay teachers also!

So I for one am a bit jealous of kids today. As I always prayed to see this day. When all my teachers would become unemployed overnight, (because I yearned to see them become destitute).

:snicker:

COVID-19, you are a blessing! :smt044
    As well as the delayed answer to the prayers of a little boy in the 80s. :smt005

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh S-H... can you imagine if you never went to school?
    Oh S-H... can you imagine how backwards these students might become?
    Oh S-H... can you imagine what this generation is going to contribute if they do TV school? who is going to test them or grade them? Oh S-H ...this is not a good idea...

Jewell and S-H like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Facebook and Twitter will grade everyone!

:snicker: :rofl: :smt044

Mellinials inherit the world!!!
    :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My teenage daughter has been begging me to allow her to homeschool or online school for years. When the lock down started and they announced online school, I looked at her and said "Your dreams have come true!" She liked it for the first 2 days, and then she announced that she wasn't learning anything, and that the class was 'a joke'. There isn't any actual instruction, just a lot of assignments (they have to learn the content themselves with no help/direction) and then (open book) tests.
    This kind of 'learning' scares me, the next generations are going to be a bunch of idiots.

Cayuga Morning and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, there are lots of curriculums available. Homeschooling is great for some and not so great for others. There is a lot of self discipline to get it done. Never do it at the kitchen table if you eat meals there. We are conditioned that that is where we eat. You are always thinking of food there. Find out what works for you and her. Dumping all these children into "home schooling" that isn't schooling because this was so unplanned and no one can be prepared is setting everyone up for failure. You and her can do it if you find a method andtand curriculum that works for you

Cayuga Morning, Jewell and S-H like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, when I was a childrens' librarian, the brightest, most engaged and curious children were the home-schoolers. The parents were involved in educating the children, and spared no effort to give them experiences and trials. They, both the parents and the children, were a joy to work with!
    Do as Carolyn has suggested. Search out a curriculum and perhaps a home-schooling group to engage your daughter in true learning.
    And remember this:
    [​IMG]

Cayuga Morning, Jewell and S-H like this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

To this day I can`t remember much of what I learned in school ! Most that I know is what I learned on my own and from family ! If children today have no drive to learn,,,, they will not learn anything ! It doesn`t take teachers or schools,,,it just takes the will to learn ! Most kids today just do not have that !

S-H likes this.
  10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I totally agree with @mart 100%! School taught me nothing, nothing of value which I can remember... So if I look in hindsight, I see that it was nothing but a correction facility - Where we had to suffer for no fault of our own, for half a day, each day, day after day, with practically no end in sight.

It was nothing but a center for brainwashing young boys and girls. Forcing them to be subjected to corporate conditioning infrastructure, which existed outside in society and their future workplace.

Any wonder why there are now so many school shooting in North America??? It's because this type of an education system only produces extremely hateful individuals with anarchist tendencies. Or highly docile people who can't even tie their own shoelaces anymore - Which explains why Velcro on shoes has become so popular!

So in my opinion, any change from this, be it home schooling or television schooling - Would be an improvement over what we already have...

Just my opinion.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S-H ... I totally disagree on the school shooting issues... not a discussion for here but this is a product of broken homes not a school problem.

12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

You also make an excellent point! However, unfortunately, the working hours of both parents are today unfairly long, (compared to how things were in the past).

And also unfortunately, the divorce rate in modern society too has crossed 50%...

So in no way is it now possible for children to get the same attention from both parents. Which everyone in the past look for granted.

This in my opinion is the real (and often unspoken) issue. As regardless of whatever education structure we might have - It can't help but fail, unless both parents give undivided attention to their kids.

13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I agree, parents not being able to give full attention to their children at the right time - Is the root cause of many problems...

Unfortunately, in the world we today live in. This is getting harder and harder.

However, the arrival of COVID-19 has changed that. Maybe for the better, maybe for the worst. I can't say, as it's too early. But change it has now brought.

Jewell and carolyn like this.
  14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Society itself has changed ! When I was growing up being a housewife/home maker is what was expected of most women ! It was a job that was revered and not anything to be ashamed of ! Now it is looked down on although it is harder work than most out of house jobs ! The house wife ruled the house/children and most family issues,, hubby brought home the money and expected her to know what to do with it ! The bills were paid on time and the house ran smoothly ! Now that many men take over that role,,it can be a disaster ! Don`t misunderstand,, I see no problem with women working if needed but home life suffers and children often pay the price ! Arm hurts but you can get what I mean ! Back to the 50`s is not such a bad thing !

S-H and carolyn like this.
  15. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I think, modern day feminism is also to blame for a lot of trouble. Again, don't get me wrong. As I have nothing against women in the work force. But by nature, women only have 50% of upper, and 75% lower body strength - Compared to a man of equal size. Which too is rare, as women and men aren't actually of the same size. So the real difference in size and strength is a lot worse.

So this is where abuse of privilege starts... Where she will demand to be treated fairly, equally, with the same amount of payment. But if the job involved physical work. She will never be as productive as a man. But God help you if you say this out aloud anywhere - As this will instantly bring upon a discrimination lawsuit on you so fast - That you will start seeing starts in daytime!

The other end of the spectrum was extreme also, as most unfair and unjust. Were women who only asked to be given the opportunity to work for a decent living and so could support themselves with respect - And demanded to have a say in the nation's future, by having their right to vote - All of them once had no choice but to resort to civil unrest.

Yes, I am reminding everyone over here about the Suffragettes...

It is not mentioned anywhere, (which I think is most unfair). But because of these heroic Suffragettes, allied forces later won the second world war. Where all the men went off to fight, while the factories which produced weapons, transport, and ammunition - Started employing women!

Let's also not forget that UK's Queen Elizabeth is actually a qualified motor mechanic. Who too proudly did her duty during the war.

https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/...rld-war-two-mechanic-ve-day-a4432841.html?amp

Can any other lady from any royal family, from anywhere in the world - Boast of having the same experience???

Nazis and the Japanese didn't extend this privilege to their ladies. In fact Nazis resorted to using slave labor... So history now stands as both witness and proof, regarding who eventually won and why...

Yet now, abuse of privilege has stated to take roots. Specially with the popular "Me Too" global movement... It stated out great, but soon evil women started using as a tool for blackmail and extortion in the workplace, with no end in sight!

So now that everything has moved online with the arrival of COVID-19. It isn't easy anymore to prove that somebody touched someone else inappropriately...

:rofl:

Anyway, as I was saying, abuse of a privilege, be it any privilege extended to anyone, (regardless of gender or color) - Is never a good thing... It is counter productive for sure, but what nobody realizes. Is that it is highly disrespectful to the very people who fought for these privileges.

So to such ultra feminist ladies of today, I just want to say - Quit being a drama queen. As you are only hurting your own stance in the long run...

IMG-20181127-WA0095.jpg

Everything always starts out good, (with the best of intentions). But over time, it is the nature of human beings to star corrupting it to suit our own personal and private agendas.

However, with each disaster, there is renewal. Exactly like it is after a forest fire. So this is how I see COVID-19. Therefore, I am somewhat optimistic about the future. Which actually should be taken as something amazing, as I am by default a pessimist, (with very deeply rooted misanthropic tendencies).

Read this link also, if anyone wishes to go into more details.

https://www.unz.com/freed/why-white-men-prefer-asian-women-117/

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Many things are unsustainable in the global society that Covid has sorely pointed out. School systems (whether home, public or private) are only as good as their teachers. I’ve seen the best and worst teachers in all these situations as a retired special education teacher. The great teachers spark a love of learning that last a lifetime. The teachers who were never meant for that role can only teach life lessons.

The majority of teachers I have worked with spent 10 hour days creating awesome learning environments. I am still in touch with teachers frustrated with the current situation and their inability to fully meet the needs of children they feel very responsible for. My heart goes out to families and their children that relied on school not just for learning but as a safe place with food and shelter. It is easy to bash a system and we have been doing that for a long time now, but not wanting to do our little part in helping correct it. Maybe this will be a time for that. Personally I loved teaching, but I don’t miss the 12 plus hour days it took to meet the needs of students and paperwork to do my job.